Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need verilog code for this circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachmagi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

can anyone of you give a verilog code for this...

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 133

lostinxlation ,

according to the circuit, a connection should exist between q output and d input. however i try, couldnt come up with a code that will synthesize.

following is a code for the circuit, except that the connection btw q and d of FF is not coded..

can you please tell me how do i make connection so that the synthesized code will give the circuit given in image

module asg1(d, clk, a, out1);

input d, a, clk;
reg q;

output out1;
reg out1;

always@(posedge clk)
begin
q = d;
end

always@(a or q)
begin
out1 = (q & a);
end

endmodule

How about this ?

module asg1(d, clk, a, out1);

input d, a, clk;
reg q;

output out1;
reg out1;

wire d = q;

always@(posedge clk)
begin
q <= d;
end

always@(a or q)
begin
out1 = (q & a);
end

endmodule

Certainly, it is possible to make a netlist for this logic, but not sure if synthesis tool likes this logic. The issue is the flop has neither of reset value nor new value comming from D input, so the flop has a unknown value, and nowadays, synthesis tool is pretty smart to catch this type of the problem. In the real world, you don't want to make such a circuit.

is it possible to declare d input that way..

i mean, it was declared as input d;
and
wire d = q;

is this possible?
if i try to synthesize in xilinx i get the following error:
Invalid use of input signal <d> as target.

wire d = q; is legit, but if it doesn't work, how about

wire d;
assign d = q ;

but why do you want make this logic ? This doesn't make a logical sense, since you'll never know what value this flop will get. The tool probably doesn't like it.

thats my assignment question...
i tried a lot of ways and did realize to synthesize a code for that particular code is not possible...

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

thanks a lot 'lostinxlation'

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

finally i could come up with the following synthesis-able code provided an extra reg driven by clock occurs:

module asg1(clk, a, out1);

input a, clk;
output out1;
reg q, temp, out1;
wire d;

assign d = temp;

always@(posedge clk)
begin
q <= d;
temp <= q;
end

always@(a or q)
begin
out1 = (q & a);
end

endmodule

The code is not correct according to the circuit, because it implements two DFF instead of one. Your schematic corresponds to this (obviously meaningless) code.
Code:
always@(posedge clk)
begin
q = q;
end

May it be the case, that q <= ~q has been intended?

P.S.: The synthesis result will be implementation dependent. For a FPGAs with default initial register state of 0 (power on reset), q will be assumed 0, and the output stuck to zero. This also happens with your second idea. In simulation, q will stay at 'U' (uninitialized).

Last edited:

if i give q <= q;
the d input is not used at all so the circuit cannot be deduced..

Declaring d as input has been wrong anyway. d is no input to the circuit. You corrected this in your second example.

Setting q <= q gives the correct RTL netlist according to your schematic, also assign d = q gives the same result.

Your second code results in this RTL netlist

But, in synthesis, both reduce to a zero logic gate level

ok, i tried the following code..as you said,

module asg1(clk, a, out1);
input a, clk;
output out1;
reg q, out1;
wire d;

assign d = q;

always@(posedge clk)
begin
q <= q;
end

always@(a or q)
begin
out1 = (q & a);
end
endmodule

and these are the warnings i got while i tried doing the synthesis:
Input <clk> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.

Signal <q> is used but never assigned. This sourceless signal will be automatically connected to value 0.

Signal <d> is assigned but never used. This unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.

so the RTL schematic had no FF...

You can either write
Code:
assign d = q;
always@(posedge clk)
begin
q <= d;
end
or
Code:
always@(posedge clk)
begin
q <= q;
end
Both are equivalent, reduced to q = 0 in synthesis.

Your best bet is defining d as an input and q as an output of that module, and synctheizing it. Then have a wrapper module that connect q and d.

Like i said, the synthesis tool may not proceed with a logic that doesn't make sense. That's a safeguard to prevent the designers from creating a faulty logic.

Synthesize the first code below, and use it with the 2nd code as a final netlist.
Code:
module sub_asg1 (clk, a, d, q, out1);
input clk, a, d;
output q, out1;

always @ (posedge clk)  q <= d;
assign  out1 = q & a;
endmodule

Code:
modue asg1 (clk, a, out1);
input clk, a;
output out1;

sub_asg1 i0 (.clk(clk), .d(q), .q(q), .a(a), out1(out1));