Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to "refurbish" the Vt1out of a MAX232 on a RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

seymour

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am interfacing a vending-machine control board with a GSM module (a Sony-Ericsson GT47/48). The serial interfaces are RS232 (for the control-board) and TTL (for the module)

I have a MAX232 in the middle which works perfectly when tested between a PC and the module BUT it works intermittenly with the control-board, meannig that some times the control-board "hears" the module and sometimes not (on average 50-50), even though while sniffing the bus with an external PC the data looks clean.

The MAX232 has a voltage swing between 8.5v and -8.5v, which is quite inside the standard.

My Hypothesis is that the control-board expects 12v to -12v on the T1OUT. I tried using a 1458 opamp as a simple open loop non-inverting comparator to achieve that, but even though it improves the system it is far from a costumer grade product and it forces me to use a ±12v power supply.

I tested with several MAX232 ICs. with same results and I know the control-board is working OK.

Any idea on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Seymour

Re: Need to "refurbish" the Vt1out of a MAX232 on

+/-8.5 is within RS-232 limts (+/-3 to +/-25), but if you suspect that you need at least +/-12V then you can try DS1488 (transmitter) and DS1489 (receiver). The transmitter operates of +/-15V.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back