Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to read low current input 10uA-30uA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushant_21

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

this is sushant, i had designed a circuit for client to read analog input, using ADS1118 IC, the circuit was design to read 4-20mA,0-5V and 0-200mV.
Now the requirement has been changed and new input is added which is 10uA-30uA.
i had designed circuit as 4-20mA/0-5V to Channel 0 of ADC and 0-200mA to Channel 1 of ADC.
ADC has Programmable gain amplifier, which helps me to adjust Full Scale range to ±0.256 V , that gives me .256/32768, as 1 digit = 7.81uA, but if i use this, there will be very less Digital Value.

i have added our input schema, please kindly lemme now the improvement or guide me in this.
View attachment ADC_input485.pdf

Regards
Sushant

Well, if your resolution is 7.81 uA and you want, say, a resolution of 1uA, you're going to have to add an amplifier with a gain of 7.81. That's the easy part. Now you need to make it low noise, low-drift, etc. Without more information that's not much else to say. (for instance, if you're measuring a slow moving signal, you can do some averaging in your software, or put a big filter on the input.)

Hi,

which helps me to adjust Full Scale range to ±0.256 V , that gives me .256/32768, as 1 digit = 7.81uA,
It's not 7.81uA, but it is 7.81uV.
--> you measure volts.

Now let's assume you want to measure the 20uA ..30uA with a shunt of 1kOhms, then the resulting voltage is 20..30mV.
With your given resolution of 7.81uV you get a reading of about 3800 LSB, which means about 12 bit.
Not that bad.

Klaus

Hi,

--> you measure volts.

Now let's assume you want to measure the 20uA ..30uA with a shunt of 1kOhms, then the resulting voltage is 20..30mV.
With your given resolution of 7.81uV you get a reading of about 3800 LSB, which means about 12 bit.
Not that bad.

Klaus

Thanks for your time and thoughts @KlausST

Sorry for mistake, i was thinking about current hence wrote mA.

Yeah i got the idea of shunt resistor, but i will have to use ADC as differential ended in ADC. Sad part is i left other ADS1118 pins floating, and they are very tiny.
Thanks for help i have to try this out anyhow and ADD the part in next version.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if your resolution is 7.81 uA and you want, say, a resolution of 1uA, you're going to have to add an amplifier with a gain of 7.81. That's the easy part. Now you need to make it low noise, low-drift, etc. Without more information that's not much else to say. (for instance, if you're measuring a slow moving signal, you can do some averaging in your software, or put a big filter on the input.)

Thanks for your time and thoughts @barry

its alcohol detecting sensor al-03s. but like Klaus Said, a shunt resistor will do, i also got this part after some searching as against C to V amplifier.

Hi,

Sad part is i left other ADS1118 pins floating, and they are very tiny.
For the future: Mind - never let any (unused) inputs floating, not analog inputs and not digital inputs.

but i will have to use ADC as differential ended in ADC
Why "differential"? You didn´t mention this before.

Klaus

Hi,

For the future: Mind - never let any (unused) inputs floating, not analog inputs and not digital inputs.

Why "differential"? You didn´t mention this before.

Klaus

i was reading about Current sense Amplifier, as in image, so i thought the Rs to be connected between IN+ and IN- as differential ADC.

But again i stuck with one solution, your question WHY made me again think, and i came up with this, if i replace the SMBJ diode in my circuit with 1Kohm as you suggested at AIN1 it will work.

I think i got the solution, correct me if i am wrong.

Hi,

I don´t think the usual current sense amplifier gives a benefit. They are for relatively high current and shunt_values in the milliohms range.

if i replace the SMBJ diode in my circuit with 1Kohm
... or you add the resistor on top of C24...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.