Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to understand the consistency of Id in MOSFET datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

staple123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have always tried understand the consistency of Id in many mosfet datasheets, I must have missed something.

For example in the datasheet I attached Si1422dh,

From the top in the Product Summary box, it lists 4 Rrs(on) values, with Id at 4A at given Vgs levels.
datasheet1.png

However, looking at the first chart, at stated Vgs levels, Id is inconsistent compared to the product summary box.
datasheet2.png

I understand the Product Summary Box is providing values for Rds, but given output characteristic, at those Vgs levels, the Id should be much higher. How can I reconcile the two?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• si1422dh.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 70

The graph shows Id vs the voltage drop across drain/source.

For example the summary box says 0.03 ohm @ Vgs=2.5v and Id=4A ,
4A*0.03R=0.12v and that is the voltage you you will see in the x axis of the graph for the 2.5v curve @4A

Thanks for your reply. I thought when using mosfet as switches, usually they operate in saturated region, Vds and Id are determined by the load line from the circuit. Am I missing something? Could you elaborate? So Rds(on) only applies in non-saturated region?
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.