Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help !! pls answer my Question ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

viggu007

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am trying to understand the differences between pmos n nmos... i am unable to find the answer the below mentioned question ... can anybody help me out with that ?

Explain why PMOSFETS tend to be able to drive ½ the current of NMOSFETs with
similar dimensions?

thank you

PMOS have holes as majority of carriers(i.e. current is due to holes), and since the holes are really electrons moving in the valnence band so they are heaviar "slower" , so holes have lower mobility and hence PMOS has lower gm "transconductance" and pass lower current for the same size of NMOS (i don't really remember the exact ratio but i think it was 2.4)

viggu007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In NMOS transistors, the silicon channel between the source and drain is of p-type silicon. When a positive voltage is placed on the gate electrode, it repulses the holes in the p-type material forming a conducting (pseudo n-type) channel and turning the transistor on. A negative voltage turns the transistor off. With a PMOS transistor, the opposite occurs. A positive voltage on the gate turns the transistor off, and a negative voltage turns it on. NMOS transistors switch faster than PMOS.

PMOS have holes as majority of carriers(i.e. current is due to holes), and since the mobility of holes is less than that of electrons hence PMOS has lower gm "transconductance" and pass lower current for the same size of NMOS.

viggu007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I also support the first and the last answer. The second answer I can't understand well yet.

Thanks

El-Hadidy

thank you all for your responses.... I never thought in terms of mobility of holes and electrons for this question ... now i am convinced with the answers provided...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back