Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help op-amp calculations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been given a circuit on LT spice, and need to calculate the CMRR. I know that the CMRR = Differential Gain/Common mode Gain, but I dont know how to get these from the circuit.

There is a 12v supply rail, 10v input, which splits with a 1k resistor on each branch of the input. It also has a 10k Rf, and 10k Rl.

Is it right that Vout = 182uV? This is my weakest subject, I need help!!

I cant attach the diagram,

please show your circuit.
and redraw your circuit.

jaymee said:
I have been given a circuit on LT spice, and need to calculate the CMRR. I know that the CMRR = Differential Gain/Common mode Gain, but I dont know how to get these from the circuit.
There is a 12v supply rail, 10v input, which splits with a 1k resistor on each branch of the input. It also has a 10k Rf, and 10k Rl.
Is it right that Vout = 182uV? This is my weakest subject, I need help!!
I cant attach the diagram,

Hi jaymee!

May I give you a general advice?
You have a small problem - and you ask for help. But you must enable us to give you this help. Without any drawing you use abbreviations/symbols like Rf, Rl, Vout.
Do you really expext that we know what your circuit looks like?

thanks for relying

i tried to attach the diagram, but its in LTspice and it won't upload.

how can I draw it here?

jaymee said:
thanks for relying
i tried to attach the diagram, but its in LTspice and it won't upload.
how can I draw it here?

If it is not too complicated - kindly describe the circuit in words, but without using symbols. Be explicit ! (For example: I suppose it is a differential amplifier. Why don't you give us this information?)

right i'll try my best to describe what i have;

10Volt supply to 2 x 1k resistors in parrallel
one of those resistors (R2) goes to the + input of an opamp (LT1001), there is also a tee'd 10k resistor (R3) to ground from the same branch.

the other 1k resistor (R1) goes to the - input of the opamp.

the op amp has a 12Volt supply rail. (external supply)

the output of the opamp runs to another 10k resistor (R4) which i understand to be a feedback resistor. This connects to the output side of (R1).

I hope this makes sense! I used the 1k and 10k resistors as I was supposed to have a differential gain of 10. Im supposed to run the simulator, and messure the output voltage, I only got 182uV, which I dont think is correct due to it being so low?

Ive then got to calculate the CMRR, but im not sure what to use to do this. the only info I have on the CMRR is that:
CMRR = Differential Gain/Common mode Gain

I hope all this makes sense, Ive tried my best to explain the curcuit, but my lack of knowlege makes it pretty hard,

thanks
Jamie

No, sorry. That's no clear discription.

10Volt supply to 2 x 1k resistors in parrallel
one of those resistors (R2) goes to the + input of an opamp (LT1001), there is also a tee'd 10k resistor (R3) to ground from the same branch.

???

the op amp has a 12Volt supply rail. (external supply)

Single supply?

the output of the opamp runs to another 10k resistor (R4) which i understand to be a feedback resistor. This connects to the output side of (R1).

...output side of R1 ?

I hope this makes sense! I used the 1k and 10k resistors as I was supposed to have a differential gain of 10.

Where is your differential input ???

Yes, now it's clear. The problem was, you have declared the 10 volts source as a supply voltage!
Your circuit is a classical differential amplifier - realized with an opamp.
However, as both inputs are tied together, the gain will be zero!

Calculation: Vout=Vin*(-Rf/R1+(10/11)*(1+Rf/R1)=Vin*(-10+10)=0.

CMRR is determined by the resistor tolerances.
Further questions?

Attention: Do you have single or dual supply?

As far as I understand, the 10V means a DC supply like the 12V.
52_1272297461.gif

EDIT: Posted a corrected drawing.

LvW said:
Yes, now it's clear. The problem was, you have declared the 10 volts source as a supply voltage!
Your circuit is a classical differential amplifier - realized with an opamp.
However, as both inputs are tied together, the gain will be zero!

Calculation: Vout=Vin*(-Rf/R1+(10/11)*(1+Rf/R1)=Vin*(-10+10)=0.

CMRR is determined by the resistor tolerances.
Further questions?

Attention: Do you have single or dual supply?

there are 2 12V supplies yes, as it is a simulation, I have no tolerences do i? I assume by tolerences you mean likegold or silver bands on the resistors? ie +/- 5% or +/- 10%??

is it possible to create a differential gain of 10, by choosing different resistor values?

fg - thats the circuit I have!

thank you.

jaymee said:
there are 2 12V supplies yes,
is it possible to create a differential gain of 10, by choosing different resistor values?
fg - thats the circuit I have!

* first statement: Two 12 V supplies
* second statement: circuit from fg - that means single supply!

This sounds a bit contradictory.
Jaymee, do you know what I am speaking about?

jaymee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yeh sorry, the circuit is the same as fg's, but it where the 12v goes to ground, there is a -12v.

jaymee said:
yeh sorry, the circuit is the same as fg's, but it where the 12v goes to ground, there is a -12v.

In this case, my answer from 17:15 applies.
Gain=0 if R1 and R2 are tied together.
What is the purpose of this circuitry?

thanks, its from an assignment I've been given from college.

I was asked to choose resistor values to give a differential gain of 10, but you say there is no way I can do this as R1 and R2 are tied together.

I need to talk with my tutor!

Jaymee,
"differential gain" means that you have a differential input signal which has to be amplified. But when both input pins get the same signal there is no difference at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.