Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for Wireless RS232 data logger project

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I wonder if you can help with this project.

I'd like to log the weather data from my sailing boat's instruments and transfer it to either my own home PC or, preferably, automatically to the networked harddisk that my internet provider offers.

The instrument data is simple async RS232, 4800 bps, NMEA-formatted text strings streaming at some 1-2 kbps data rate.

For the hardware I'm envisaging a wireless GSM/WCDMA M2M module with an RS232 connector and an SD card or similar local buffer storage, perhaps something similar to this.

But the trick is then to program this wireless module to regularly (e.g. once every 6 hours) contact the network disk and transfer the buffered data to the network disk (e.g. by FTP).

I'm reasonably comfortable with the hardware part, having designed and prototyped 8751 microcontroller stuff in the '80s. But for the SW part I'd hope for some really easy-to-learn and use tools - hopefully with most of the required functions already done. I once mastered assembly programming, but now I need some more easily mastered tools.

Can anyone point me to where to find an inexpensive solution? I imagine that this data logger M2M application is so simple and basic that someone must already have done it, but the searches I've done so far have not been successful.

Thankx in advance :grin:

NMEA format is a standard of GPS.. Is it for a commercial purpose or educational purpose... the wireless like zigbee, bluetooth , do not provide distance,, its max of 10 mts. if you go for RF type of transmitter and receiver then you can increase the distance....
GPS would give geographical location of the object. or you need to use GSM for your purpose...

NMEA format is a standard of GPS.. Is it for a commercial purpose or educational purpose... the wireless like zigbee, bluetooth , do not provide distance,, its max of 10 mts. if you go for RF type of transmitter and receiver then you can increase the distance....
GPS would give geographical location of the object. or you need to use GSM for your purpose...

Hi!
This is my own hobby project (not commercial).

The idea is that while the sailboat is in the harbour or sailing it can automatically send its instrument data to the internet (to my network harddisk). That's why I need GSM connectivity, to get unlimited mobility (as long as it is within GSM coverage).

GPS position data is one of the parameters included in the instruments NMEA data stream, together with boat speed, wind speed, heading and other data.

So far my search has turned up this and this wireless data logger, but the product data suggests that neither is capable of handling the data rate and buffering capacity that this data stream requires. So I'm thankful for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back