Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help fixing/using a large LED message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xconspirisist

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey folks, I'm new here and I'm making my first post a request for help!

I have acquired a large LED message board from a car boot sale, it was cheap and unfortunately I've not yet got it working. I am posting this request for help because I have spent the last 3-4 days trying to at least determine what is going wrong.

The basics, the message board has no model number or manufacturer on the product itself. I have not yet found its manual or datasheet. It appears to be made by cheer-led, model number CL-A24X80RG. It has an array of LEDs, 24x80 organized in square blocks of 8. The ports on the device are a IEC 320 C13 (kettle cable) and two RJ11 sockets. I have removed the power supply from the back and have changed the power supply voltage switch to 110v despite living in the UK, powering it using a step down transformer and an American kettle cable. The message board came with a RJ11-M -> DE9-M (serial) cable.

When I plug in the board either on 240v/110v with the appropriate power, of course, approximately 75% of the time 3-4 entire rows light up, but abruptly turn off after about a half second. The power supply does not smell of blown up capacitors (not that I know what would happen if I plugged the incorrect voltage in) and all the IC's on the circuit board look fine. The PCB itself looks in pristine condition. Could this behavior be because of a short circuit or similar?

A friend sent me a programming manual for another CHEER-LED product, which requires a buad rate of 2400, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity or flow control. Using this is a base, I have written some C for Linux and C# for Windows and tried bombarding the serial port with random bytes between 0 and 255 in a vein attempt at getting something to happen! I've used a serial port monitor, but cannot tell if the sign is actually reading the bytes, I have no idea. I've also tried sending some more structured instructions to the sign, which seem to take the format of [instruction number = 1-15][arguments ??][0xFF] but obviously have had no luck. I'm leading to think that the sign is not reading anything on the serial port. The only indication of life is there is a small red LED on the circuit board itself, which I assume means the sign has power (ie, the abrupt cut out may not be from the power supply tripping).

I fear this post is getting long enough, I include the specifications I have found so far in the following txt file:

tydus.net/cheerled/findings.txt

and some pictures here, mainly focussing on what I can only loosely describe as the "motherboard".

tydus.net/cheerled/ (jpegs, max 1mb each)

Can anyone suggest what I should look at next? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the manufacturer: **broken link removed** or maybe these guys: **broken link removed**. It doesn't matter. They won't help you unless you want to buy a boatload of new product, and I mean a really large boat.

Thanks, I found the manufacturer sites also, but they seemed to be useless.

Do you think the little red on-light on the back means that the board is powered on okay? IE: Do those lights normally represent that the LED has power, or that the board has done a more in depth self test? I'm using a USB -> Serial converter to send stuff to the board, is it possible that is getting in the way and causing issues? I only have 1 old machine with a true serial port now-a-days which I suppose I could use.

The LED probably only indicates the presence of power. I wouldn't worry about communications until you're sure that all necessary voltages are being produced and filtered. Are there any fuses on the board? Can you identify any voltage regulators? Does the memory battery have at least 2.8V?

I've been looking at your pictures, the clear ones at least. Is that a scratch cutting through traces on the left side of the board near the end of the long ribbon cable or just a string of adhesive?

Last edited:

Thank you very much for your replies so far! I will get some higher resolution photos tonight.

What looks like a scratch is indeed just some leftover from a glue gun. The power supply (silver cage under the lamp in this picture (http://tydus.net/cheerled/rearView.jpg) just has red/black coming out, going to the motherboard and big LED board. In regards to voltage regulators, I assume you mean chips? I'll identify more of those and get back to you. I'll also try and get as many details on the power supply as I can.

One point, the red/black output wires from the power supply connect to some mounts on the big LED board. But that big LED board also has another two mounts on the opposite side. Looking at the power supply there are also two spare pins, erm, I wonder if it needs those points to be connected or if they are just there for future expansion... I will make sure the new batch of photos highlight this point a lot better.

I think it is probably sitting waiting for some data at its serial port. Have you looked for any PC software to drive it?

I suppose you could try reading the microcontroller to disassemble the firmware but I imagine that it will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back