Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help! Design of spiral inductor with guard ring in ADS Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfind

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Im new to ADS , and presently working on Spiral Inductor design with guard rings.
I have completed my spiral inductor design in ads momentum using help provided on the internet, but get confused how to design guard ring around it. Please help me in designing this spiral inductor in ads. also want to connect the guard ring to the ground instead of left it in floating condition.
Is there any manual available for the ads spiral inductor with guard ring option

thanks in advance

For what you want to use the guard ring? Will you place the guard also in your real design?

Kind regards!

PS. You can also use diff. Probes, where your guard ring is the reference!

For what you want to use the guard ring? Will you place the guard also in your real design?

Kind regards!

PS. You can also use diff. Probes, where your guard ring is the reference!

I am designing on-chip square spiral inductor with coplanar ground guard ring around it. reason to use it is to provide a return current path in the structure

**broken link removed**

In the simulation setup using Momentum, two internal ports are inserted , one on each side of the inductor. Two additional ground reference ports are added close to the internal ports and connected to the ground ring to ensure that the return current follows this path in the simulation. .

I dont understand how to add ground reference ports close to internal ports.

with regards
https://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-9044EN.pdf .

Ok, understood.

This method is not really correct because you have some add. inductances caused by the ports.

Can you post a pic of your mom-sim? Which ADS version you are using?

Kind regards

Ok, understood.

This method is not really correct because you have some add. inductances caused by the ports.

Can you post a pic of your mom-sim? Which ADS version you are using?

Kind regards

I am using ADS 2009. I am trying to see the effect of guard ring on the inductance of the spiral inductor.
Placing guard ring near the spiral inductor will definitely going to decrease the inductance value, but dont know which tool (ADS, FastHerny, etc) validate this effect correctly.
Could you suggest me which tool is best suitable for capturing this effect.

regards

MoM is quite ok, to study the effect. I mean, you should place the ports in that way, that the +terminal is connected to your inductor and your -terminal to the guard ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back