Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help: Design of 14 bits SC Sigma Delta ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joujou

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I designed a SC Sigma Delta ADC with its different compenents: TG, feedback TG,OTA, Latch Comparator .
But when I analyzed its spectrum to have 14 bits , I obtained these results:

The first one is a superposition of all spectrum:
**The ENOB of the modulator with a real OTA (13.31 bits) is better than the ENOB of the modulator with an ideal OTA (13.04 bits) : illogical result !!
** All spectrum contain a third order harmonic!!
The second one is a zoom on the bandwith
Someone can help me to analysis these result?
Please Let me Know if you have some comments

Joujou

I think, you need to check the setting of the ideal OTA: the main thing is gain, gm, and slew rate.

The third hamonica is due to the non-linearity. Normally, it is caused by the gain non-linearity and switch's on-resistance non-linearity.

Hope this information helps.

joujou

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi tony_taoyh,

Thank you for your help and sorry for my late replay
I think that the probléme is on the transmission Gate because when I test the spectrum of the ideal modulator i used an ideal amplifior

24_1222419959.jpg

My request now is:
What are the simulations that you should do to confirm the origin of the third order harmonic?

joujou

The simulation skill apply to any circuit:
You can use transient simulation to catch some non-linear problem: for example, the output swing of the OTA, the non-linearity of the ON-resistance. However, be careful on the result: Because, device mismatching is not included for the transient simulation. Some side calculation is required for this one.

Another one is: the noise effect is not included in the transient simulation. Notes: in the latest cadence tool, the vendor try to include it, using some random number generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back