Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need circuit for detecting a square wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Craft

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to build a circuit to detect the presence of a TTL-level square wave produced by a microcontroller. (I know nothing about the micro-controller... I did not program it. I'm simply trying to interface to it.) However, I can control whether or not the square wave is "on" or "off" by pressing a button connected to the micro-controller.

I hooked an oscilloscope to the square wave and took some measurements. When I press the button to turn on the square wave, it has a frequency of 60 Hz, duty cycle of 50%, a low voltage of 0 V, and a high voltage of 5 V. In other words, a regular 'ol TTL square wave. When I press the button to turn off the square wave, it will either be at 0 VDC (continuous) or 5 VDC (continuous).

As mentioned above, I would like to build a circuit to detect the presence of this square wave. When the square wave is "on," my circuit should produce some kind of signal (like 5 VDC). When the square wave is "off," my circuit should produce around 0 V.

I've thought about different ways of doing this. All else being equal, I would like the solution to be very simple and have a low parts count. I would also rather not use a clock signal. (It means I would have to build a clock.)

One idea was to use a frequency-to-voltage converter. I also thought of sending the signal through a high-pass filter (with a cutoff frequency around 20 Hz or so), and then to a peak detector (diode + capacitor + bleed-off resistor). Yet another idea was to use an RMS-to-DC converter.

Ideally, I would love to use some kind of integrated circuit that is designed to detect square waves/clock signals and produces a "1" when it detects it. But I haven't been able find a chip that would do this.

Once I find a solution to this problem, I plan on publishing an article to N&V. It's a pretty neat application, and is something I think a lot of people will want to build. I will also include acknowledgements in the article.

Thanks,

Michael Craft
Saint Paris, OH
magcraft@windstream.net

How about a simple detector like this? It's not very fast, and it has low output current, but maybe it's sufficient for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.