Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice choosing the right tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgergo

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I never used programmable logic devices before but I'm working on a project where I could benefit from using them. The project would be a multichannel (2-5) frequency counter, working in the range of 5 MHz with maximum +/-500 kHz slow deviation. I would simply count the edges with 1s gate time but I need parallel counting. So I need individual logic parts per channel. After every second the logic parts would store their result in a register which could be read and the value sent to the PC by a micro comfortably. Initially, I thought I'd use slave micros for counting and a master micro for communication but maybe it's the right time to learn using programmable logic.

I heard that CPLDs or FPGAs are good for this, but I don't know which approach is better to my purposes and what are the most suitable dev boards and software packages to start with. Any help would be welcome! Thank you.

I've got Xilinx products in my reach and here are some options:

CPLD: SK-CRII-L-G CoolRunner-II CPLD Kit

FPGA: BASYS2-100 Digilent 100k Spartan-3E board

NEXYS-2 500k Digilent Spartan-3E board

The BASYS-100 and CoolRunner-II have the same price (almost).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back