Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a way to USB--->ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceasars

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb ata

if you know a way (schmatic) that has microcontroller and all protocal changes in order to get input from usb stick and plug it to mainboard ide(ata) input, so that windows recognize files in usb stick as another hard disk
help is appritiated

make ata to usb

Hi

Look at http://www.cypress.com they have a chip who can bridge USB to ATA

All the best

Bobi

Last edited by a moderator:

That chip is still for the other way , I need to monitor USB flash disk from PC, with it connected from ATA(IDE). So at least can you give me an simple ATA interface example, can be verilog code for FPGA as well. thx

It is seriously awkward that nobody has ever tried to solve this interface problem.

I am still looking for a way of changing ide port interfacing and connection a flash memory (usb) to there. If you have any idea how to do this, let me know pls

Currently I ll try to make an FPGA implementation for ATA controller then , a way to connect this to usb ,
cheers

ATA host or device?

For host you may check opencores or *ilinx examples.

There are not so may resource for device.

But I still dont understand- is that
PC(USB) - [(USB) - (ATA) - (Flash)] ?
ATA device, Flash controller host

I know its not regular way of things, when you search usb to ata or ata to usb both ends up in regular ata hardisk connection from usb on pc, thats not I am trying to do

Host( Mainboard ide out(where we connect harddisk) -------(interface that Ineed to make)------Flash disk(usb).
Hope I could explain my problem this time, thx for help, still looking for answers if you have .

note: the point on this project is that; person comes with a flash disk to computer , plugs it to "my made" interface device and computer recognize flash disk as another hard disk, ( no windows installed pc)

so, you're making an IDE harddisk(40pin) and usb flash as disk contain.

in this condition, you may need IDE device & USB Host.

all links & suggestion before this reply is not you want!

IDE device are running on different modes for PC, if PC is too old it may only run PIO mode.. if its new PC it runs UDMA mode.

next, usb is 1.1 or 2.0?

most important one, you might have a look and file patent for this. your idea may help PC without OS and trying to setup new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.