Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nanogenerator {how to use}

Status
Not open for further replies.

question1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am doing a personal coursework presentation and hit something that is quite technical.

Not sure where to post this.

I am planning to explain how to embed this into a cell phone's circuit to charge the battery on the go.

https://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=823
The item in the link above is called a nanogenerator.

Quote from article: "their nanogenerator could produce as much as 4 watts per cubic centimeter – based on a calculation for a single nanowire."

what does this mean?
does it mean that, theoretically, a total of 1 cubic centimeter of this wire can produce up to 4 watts of electricity?

-----------------------------------

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Nanogenerat...ood-60580.shtml

The link above quotes:"Our next goal is to grow bigger nanowire arrays to raise the nanogenerators' current to microamperes, and to build a three-dimensional structure to raise the voltage to 0.5 V so that it can be used for powering devices."

what does this mean?
what is the current voltage produced?
obviously it is not enough to charge a 3V cellphone battery?

------------------------------------

Can I use opAmp or transistor to couple a few nanogenerators together and step-up the voltage?, and then it will be able to charge the battery? feasible?

-----------------------------------

please don't hesitate to bombard me with criticisms on how my idea WON'T work. but please make them constructive. :)

------------------------------------

other reference:

**broken link removed**

-------------------------------------

i also found that a cell phone battery on average requires 6 watts for about 2 hours to fully charge

This is priliminary stage of research, it will take years or even more for the technology to become usable.
Raoof

The slogan-like calculations of theoretical energy densities apparently made you overlook, that you can't "harvest" more energy from a particular "place" or volume than being present within. Wisely, the author didn't promise to generate energy from nothing.

Considering typical available energy densities leads to the conclusion, that nanogenerators typically won't "harvest" more than nanowatt, at best microwatt. Discussing the basically interesting topic related to watts requirement of a cellphone charger completely misses the point. Consider proven concepts as photo voltaic!

Status
Not open for further replies.