Not open for further replies.

rhnrgn

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to trig my MCU's 5v level I/O with 24V signal. That is why i am planing to use n-mosfet.

I will connect 24v to gate of my mosfet, I/O to source of n-mosfet and 5 Volt to drain of mosfet. As you can see Vgs is grater than Vds.

I only need voltage level between 4V and 5V at the source of mosfet. Id is not important.

Is it posible?

I am planing to use IRLU014.

https://www.vishay.com/docs/91321/sihlr014.pdf

Thank You.

Any particular reason you need to do it this way. More usual to use an optocoupler with appropriate led resistor I would suggest around 2k2 to give around 10mA depending on which opto you use of course. This is a cheap, reliable and effective way to do it.

Reactions: rhnrgn

rhnrgn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

If you apply 24V at the gate, you are exceeding the maximum Vgs rating of +/- 10V (as given in the datasheet). This will cause the oxide of the MOSFET to damage & the MOSFET will fail.

I recommend using a DC to DC SSR (Solid State Relay). Again it uses a optocoupler for isolation & switching.

rhnrgn

Thank you. 4N35 will help me alot.

For N-Mosfet to ON, Vgs should be +ve and more than threshold value, in your case it is 2V. and max Vgs in this mosfet is 10V, so one thing is you should select a mosfet which will have Vgs more that 24V. or you can have volt. divider circuit to make 24v less than 10V.

rhnrgn

Status
Not open for further replies.