Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Computer is decreasing harddisk capacity automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadmaahmood10

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My Computer is decreasing harddisk capacity automatically day by day . To create more space I have to uninstall some program . I cannot do this indefinitely . Please tell me to solve this problem .

Re: My Computer is decreasing harddisk capacity automaticall

this may be happening due to creation on bad sectors on your hard disk........

it is natural if your pc is more than 4 years old.....

to stop it try scandisk
it may not always solve the problem but do give it a try........

if you are using windows xp this is how you can start scandisk:
go to my computer right click on the disk you want to run the scan on and select properties
now select the tools tab on the top
here you would find error checking option click on check now
on the new tab select both the options of automatically fix errors and scan and try for recovery of bad sectors

and now click start

would take a lot of time and in case its able to fix bad sectors great u get back your disk space else i think you would need to get your self a new hard disk..........

aadmaahmood10 said:
My Computer is decreasing harddisk capacity automatically day by day . To create more space I have to uninstall some program . I cannot do this indefinitely . Please tell me to solve this problem .

If not hardware related sector loss, you maybe have bad written programs leaking memory - ie. swelling in memory in workings over time and allocate more and more space in your swap-file and temporary files on HD. Many not so good written programs can also leave opened temporary files and not delete file after using (specially if programs crash)

look around 'tmp', 'temp' directorys areas if you have lot files and/or have big size.

Sort directorys list after file size and look after unwanted big size-files and many small files with meaningsless names under meaningsless directorys name and in temporary directorys - look under internet explorer, mail program and other used webb viewer - emty this file cache, compact and sort your stored mails and take away all spam with heavy sized attach etc. adjust max allowed swapfile size - emty temporary files and directorys regulary.

if you is unsure if you can take away this temporary file - make rar or zip-archive of this, try using your usual application, if work without trouble or missing files - delete these archives.

Computers used in years have always lot of unwanted 'trash-files' spread around in filesystems and coming from used programs, program log, programs cache, from program crash etc.

oh yes this could be the job of a virus also......
what exactly is the problem:
if the total capacity is decreasing than do what i told you earlier
if the used space is inccreasing its probably because of virus or a program u have created that is creating blocks of memory that is not freeed after its execution
in case the problem is as above the scan disk should remove it........

also disk cleanup....
try it its there in the system tools under accessories...........

else try a software that checks the hard disk....
example tune up utilities is available for a free 30 days trial easily.....
it also has a disk cleaner(more efficient) and a disk space explorer
which tell u exactly where ur disk space is being used up..........

once u find your soultion do tell us which one worked...................

your HDD is very bad.go and change.

i too had the same problem once. but the free space in my HD decreased suddenly and also only once. initially i had about 4GB of free space, but later suddenly decreased to around 150 MB.
it may also be due to simple issue like automatic system restore points. try cleaning them up.

your hdd have so many bad sector you may be block bad sector & format your hdd by disk manager.

Try to check your PC power consumption..
My last Harddisk also has a problem like yours..
Because my power supply doesn't enough to charge all of components in PC
its make more bad sector in my harddisk..
Later, I have changed both of my Power Supply and Harddisk:cry:

i would suggest doing a defragment first.
if it doesn't help, check for virus.
if it still doesn't help, recently there are logs of good deals on hdd, such as the seagate sata2 on newegg.

try to run the scan disk
or disk check
or
a good disk defragmentation s/w
u did't explain which os is installed and which hdd i u r system

get backup of your system data whichever you want after that create a new partition it will remove the bad sector and it will not spread in future
then you may enjoy with your hard disk

if bad mechanical HDD quit after save data if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back