Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multistar Ground with daisy chain vs groundplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA-Drummer

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello people,

I am currently working on a desing of the Soldano SLO100 preamp, and i have read some stuff out of "design tube preamps for guitar and bass"
And it says a multi star ground with daisy chain is better then a normal ground star where you connect everything on the same ground.

So i was Wondering witch one is better, because i pcb design with independent ground plane's is hard to design, and the power comes from another pcb so i have to wire 3 more ground lines.

Cheers, Da-Drummer

Tube amplifiers are a lot more critical on their grounding requirements with amps of filament current running around and the high input impedance of the tubes. Solid state should be easy. look at the circuit, outputs on the right hand side, i/ps on left? feed the PSU into the Rh. side and keep the decoupling capacitors sort of aligned. i.e. don't connect the - end of a decoupling capacitor which is on the Lh. side of the circuit to the ground on the Rh. side. This will keep the circulating currents to a minimum.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.