Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPQ4470/4470A Schematic Confusion

newbie_hs

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using MPQ4470/4470A in my design.In the typical application schematic you can see a capacitor C3 of 0.1uF
The datasheet does not say anything about this capacitor.
May I know the role of this capacitor
1699439912995.png

Solution
Hi,

the capacitor ist connected to the "BST" pin.

So simply do a search on "BST" and you will find all information you need to know.

You quickly will find the pin description. Where it says "Bootstrap".
So you are free to do another search on "bootstrap".

Klaus
Hi,

the capacitor ist connected to the "BST" pin.

So simply do a search on "BST" and you will find all information you need to know.

You quickly will find the pin description. Where it says "Bootstrap".
So you are free to do another search on "bootstrap".

Klaus

Solution
That's a boot-strap capacitor. That capacitor is needed in order to drive the gate of the high-side MOSFET (i.e. HS-FET) to the proper voltage (Vgs>Vth) when the FET turns on. The boot-strap circuit maintains Vgs>Vth when the HS-FET turns on and it's source is pulled to the drain voltage.
1699486161448.png

When HS-FET turns on, the source of the HS-FET is pulled near the drain voltage. In order to turn and keep the FET on, the gate voltage always needs to be higher than the source voltage (Vgs > Vth). In order to do that, a boot-strap circuit is used which is essentially a capacitor charge pump feed into a regulator (BSTREG). The boot-strap capacitor is usually charged to the input voltage (V_IN) through a diode when the low side FET (i.e. LS-FET) is turn on. The voltage of the boot-strap regulator keeps the gate of the HS-FET higher than the source voltage, most importantly, when the FET turns on and the source is pulled near the drain voltage.

Have a look through the application notes. They will usually have some nice pictures of the process. Also, look at how a charge pump circuit works. Once you know the charge pump, the boot-strap circuit is pretty easy to understand.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back