Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Moved] Need Help: AVR - L293D - Bipolar stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_dody

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can somebody suggest me the right connection of AVR to L293D to TWO Stepper motors (24V) ? I really need it.

Re: Need Help: AVR - L293D - Bipolar stepper motor

Ok thanks, I got it.

For programming these motors (AVR), can I just use delay as shown in that link or any other method? Actually I want to use it to open/close the roof like open 1/4, open 1/2, open 3/4, and open full. Just as simple as that but I just don't understand yet.

For a simple project the delay should be fine.
Note that you can use the delay routine _delay_ms(x) from delay.h, no need to create loops

Oh wait, just realize it. I think I need to include the code inside my interrupt service routine then I just read that delay is not good here. Is there any other solution?

You don;t have to put the delay inside an interrupt, you can alwys set a flag variable and execute some code in main based on that.

The alternative is to use timers

Ok i'll try it first and bring the result here. Thank you

stp.png

On that picture, where should I connect the ground? is it the ground from 24V power supply OR the ground from my minimum system? I use two different power supply actually.

Last edited:

Both grounds should be connected together at some point, if the grounds are separated then you can't feed a logic pulse at the input of L293, you need a common reference (unless you intend to use optocouplers for all signals)

OK, actually I've built power supply 12V and 5 V only. Since my motor is 24V, then I plan to use external power supply from the LAB. That's why i'm confuse.

What If i connect it to the 12V ? Will it work? I use PM42S-096 stepper motor

According to the datasheet the bipolar motor is 24v/10ohm 500mA which means it is intended for PWM , if you give 24v it will get 2.4A , with 12v 1.2A , these are both out of spec.

Can I do something like this:

(not tested, coz I'm not sure)

Code:
void left (void)
{
PORTB = 0X01; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X03; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X02; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X06; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X04; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X0C; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X08; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X09; delay_ms(5);
}

void right (void)
{
PORTB = 0X09; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X08; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X0C; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X04; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X06; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X02; delay_ms(5);
PORTB = 0X03; delay_ms(5);
}

Last edited:

The problem is not the motor type but the fact that the coil has a low resistance.

To use the motor with plain DC you would have to use 5v since 5v/10ohm =500mA , the difference is that the current when the voltage is high reaches the 500mA much faster and this it allows faster steps and higher torque.

If you just want to experiment you can either use a resistor in series with the motor coils or 5v supply.

What about the driver (l293d) ? Can i still use it ?

I just read the datasheet that drive IC for this motor is UDN2916B-V.

Yes, there is no problem about the driver (L293), you just have to implement the PWM with the AVR.
The other driver you mention is autonomous and includes internal PWM that limits the current, it is up to you to use the way you prefer

Hi, I just wondering why the datasheet says drive voltage 24V while the resistance is so small..

For the programming, is there any examples of driving stepper motor using PWM feature in AVR?

I got an example of PWM used to increase or decrease the speed of DC motor only.

Hi, about the L293d pin connection with the AVR, I just dont get the logic yet, can I change the pin as what I want or not. I really confuse in programming, guide me please..

There are four control pins 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A each of them sets high an output when you set it to high and low when you set them low.
There are two enable pins 1,2EN and 3,4EN that each is an enable for an an output pair and should be set high for the output to work.

There are four steps that need to be repeated but the bipolar motor, you can see them or https://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/types.html#bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back