Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]diodes are getting damaged continuously

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir
Im using a a centre tapped transformer outputs of 4.5 volts & 6 volts half half both the sides & an earth point.it means total 5 points at the output.it has 250 ma current statistics
Now i connect two diodes IN4007 for 6 volts supply so as to get proper rectifications & a 1000nf 16v cap. for proper filtration to a reasonable limit.
The problem is after using it in 3 to 4 days one of the dioides or both of them is getting damaged everytym :(
What would it be the reason behind it ? am i susing a wrong or low value or something else ?

As per the application the diode selection is OK.
It will be helpful for us to understand your problem and provide the solution if you share the schematic

If your transformer is strong enough, a too large peak current is possible at power on (when the filter capacitor (1000 uF and not 1000 nF, right?) is empty yet, so you can easily exceed the max. allowable peak current of the diodes.

One possible solution:
use a few (2-3) ohm resistor in series with the diodes.
or (using only one resistor):
(common point of the coils) ---- (2-3 Ohm) ---- (ground)

The power of the resistor(s) must be min. 0.5 Watt

so you can easily exceed the max. allowable peak current of the diodes
Not easily and not at all with a 250 mA rated transformer. Single cycle peak current of 1N400x is 30 A, by the way.

hmm okk i connected as per your sugesstion . Now have to watch out the result for some period.well thanks a lot once again.I n next reply i ll send you the diagram czuse i ve to make it properly on photoshop sir :) thanks once again let me watch it . .

i ll send you the diagram czuse i ve to make it properly on photoshop
MS Paint is easier. If you draw in black and white, and save it as a GIF, the file size is nice and small too.

sir here is the circuit diagram for centre tap transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back