Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] charging 12v 175ah battery with 24v ups directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

numair_noor

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i want to know if i can charge my 12v 175ah battery with my 24v inverter+converter directly or not. previously there were two batteries connected in series. but they were not giving the backup time as expected. they could only give half hour backup time for just 3 or 4 bulbs of 24watt power. which is very less. i am not sure if the ups is 12v or 24. but since i did not set up the ups. so consider it as 24 volts.
secondly i tried to experiment it with that, disconnecting one battery. and just using one. but just as i connected the battery directly, i saw some bubbles in the battery(battery is not dry battery). it has some kind of liquid in the battery.
now i have switched off the circuit untill i can get an appropriate answer yes or no. so please tell me as soon as possible.
regards,
muhammad numair
thanks so much for your time

Re: charging 12v 175ah battery with 24v ups directly.

hi, i want to know if i can charge my 12v 175ah battery with my 24v inverter+converter directly or not.

Cant charge 12V battery with 24V !

previously there were two batteries connected in series. but they were not giving the backup time as expected. they could only give half hour backup time for just 3 or 4 bulbs of 24watt power. which is very less.

You have probably bad batteries or device is bad designed or have some problem.

i am not sure if the ups is 12v or 24. but since i did not set up the ups. so consider it as 24 volts.

Need to identify that this is very immportant. Open device and see if there is some marks on PCB, try to find some documentation for device. Usually 24V UPS have space for two batteries, you can check space in device case.

secondly i tried to experiment it with that, disconnecting one battery. and just using one. but just as i connected the battery directly, i saw some bubbles in the battery(battery is not dry battery). it has some kind of liquid in the battery.

Probably UPS try to charge one 12V battery with 24V voltage and you see bubles inside as bad chemical process inside battery cells as over voltage reaction, this can lead to sulfatization of lead plates surface.

Try to make photo and post in thread, or tell us UPS model number and manufacturer name.

Last edited:

Re: charging 12v 175ah battery with 24v ups directly.

thanks , i guess i should connect it back to its position.

Status
Not open for further replies.