Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOV for DC motor EMI filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac84

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I've been searching the net for ideas on filtering the EMI of DC motor. There's examples on using capacitors as filter like in this website: **broken link removed**
May I ask, can I use a MOV to do the filtering? My dc motor is using 12Vdc.

I don't think a MOV will be a good solution. Unless it's already conducting significant DC current (and therefore wasting power), it's dynamic impedance won't be low enough to suppress the noise.

I don't think a MOV will be a good solution. Unless it's already conducting significant DC current (and therefore wasting power), it's dynamic impedance won't be low enough to suppress the noise.

What do you think is a good solution? Is it still using some capacitors?
I heard that using X2Y capacitor is good for filtering dc motor EMI. Is it true?

I have often seen ceramic capacitors used, so that seems to be a popular solution. I hadn't heard of X2Y capacitors before. Do you mean **broken link removed**? They look good.

May I ask what is the current consumption for a 12V DC motor? I mean the standard one. Cos I don't have the datasheet of the dc motor.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Another thing is, can LM7806 power a 6V DC motor? Is it has enough current to turn on the 6V DC motor?

A normal car starter motor probably needs at least 100A.
If you mean some other kind of motor, please tell us what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a "standard" 12V DC motor. You could at least say how big it is, how much it weighs, what it looks like, or what it is used for.

A normal car starter motor probably needs at least 100A.
If you mean some other kind of motor, please tell us what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a "standard" 12V DC motor. You could at least say how big it is, how much it weighs, what it looks like, or what it is used for.

I've attach the spec for the 6V motor:View attachment 2619_SR_MME.pdf
The part number is 2619S006SR207:1 which is a 6V DC motor. Can the LM7806 drive this motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back