Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most indusrialy used microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishna1234

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey guys which is the most industrially used microcontroller ?
in student projects i thing pic will be the no.1 but in industry ???

pls help...........

Krishna,

8051 still is present at olders projects.
At news produts, there exists a wide variety.

At asiatic produts, HOLTEK domains, and even PIC is very used at industry products.

+++

Hi,
There is a large variety, where many microcontrollers are used - PIC, AVR, STM and other micros from different manufacturers. The usage also changes per location as andre_teprom pointed out. Here in Bangladesh, I would say more than 90% of the applications use AVR.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

in most advanced projects they go for ARM cortex, or renases processors for automotive products.... for mobile ARM is used as ARM captures 90% of market. for medical devces they go for ST, samsung or STM....

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

ATMEL, PIC 8 bit controllers are mainly used students projects and dont find much of industrial or real time application.. may be used but very limited.... i know many will contradict but its the truth..

Never seen big companies use these small controllers

I've also seen a lot of Freescale (formerly Motorola) 68HC08 and 68HC16 microcontrollers on fire alarm control panels ...

Last edited:

i have seen lots of powersupplies most of them using pic , what is so much special in it ?

Nothing special about it.. its manufacturer liking and his team development capability.. many of the programmable power supplies use ATMEGA/ AVR toooo... there is no specific reason for that

in most advanced projects they go for ARM cortex, or renases processors for automotive products.... for mobile ARM is used as ARM captures 90% of market. for medical devces they go for ST, samsung or STM....

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

ATMEL, PIC 8 bit controllers are mainly used students projects and dont find much of industrial or real time application.. may be used but very limited.... i know many will contradict but its the truth..

Never seen big companies use these small controllers

I don't believe revenue from students project is enough to hold Microchip or ATMEL in market. Of course 8bit controllers can't use in high end applications, and don't compare them with 32bit MCs.

AVR - "Some current usages are in BMW, Daimler-Chrysler and TRW........"
source: Atmel AVR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I agree with anandpv2009. Unless PIC and AVR have large uses, Microchip or Atmel wouldn't even be in the market with just revenue from student projects. However, they are not used in high-end applications, where a single 32-bit controller is preferred.

me also agree with anandpv2009.
i thing AVR has a large tech support than pic, that is why now they are become a key players in this field.
i also thing in industry the major microcontroller series are avr and arm. ( pic and motorola series are there but they lag behind avr and arm )
this is only my thoughts if anybody have a different thought please share.

me also agree with anandpv2009.
i thing AVR has a large tech support than pic, that is why now they are become a key players in this field.
i also thing in industry the major microcontroller series are avr and arm. ( pic and motorola series are there but they lag behind avr and arm )
this is only my thoughts if anybody have a different thought please share.

I don't think so...In my previous post I didn't mean that AVR is better or PIC is better.
**broken link removed**

Just leave it. K:|

Hi,All

Microcontrollers constitute a relatively consistent components market for generating revenue. Top microcontroller suppliers include Renesas, Freescale, NEC, Infineon, Fujitsu, and Microchip, with a combined market share of about 60 percent.

**broken link removed**
Price: USD $3,500.00
ISBN/SKU #: DB8690
Research Group: Databeans

I think you guy's will get a lot of angry engineer's if you start with my micro is better than your's so if you really want to know buy the above research then none of use will get angry over who's micro is the largest.

The above should make you smile at least!

On a serious note one must look at the industry you are interested in there is no one size fit's all there are some serious project's done with pic's and there are toy's with ARM micro's in them (google if you like)
I'm sure that when you get a job interview for a $1000,000.00 you are not going to say: Atmel is the best I refuse to work on PIC?

So gentleman before we erase one another's boot loader's let's agree to disagree.

recently i have seen in a news that intel is now trying to capture the microcontroller segment and they are succeeding in that.........
and even the news says intel is ahead of arm team.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

i also found a interesting topic 1000core processor........

1,000 cores on one chip | Elektor

Just to highlight, Renesas and NEC now are same company (since April 2010), named Renesas Electronics Corporation.
Their combined revenue are three times larger than Freescale!

Status
Not open for further replies.