Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet Id calculation? for fixed Vds & a maximum specified Vgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaccabee

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I ve got a circuit in which the Vds of the MOSFET is fixed at 1.9V.
The Vgs (threshold maximum) =2.5V
I can give the Vgs to a maximum value of 5V and not more.
Now i want my Id to be 12A for Vgs =5V
Is it possible?
Can some one tell me how design it properly??
The MOSFET Im considering is FDP8860 from fairchild
(https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDP8860.pdf)
Thanks

U r sayin Vds is fixed at 1.9 v ,Id ~Vgs shows Vth is nearly 2.5v(@25degC)
To keep ur device in sat u require Vds> Vgs-Vth at least 4.4v is req then apply the sat id eqn and un*Cox is constant, now change the W/L to get 12A
or in linear region it is still possible 2.5<Vgs<4.4(assuming vth=2.5v)

Im not doing IC level, Im working with a discrete MOSFET circuit.
Im sorry but i couldnt get it clearly.Can you please tell me how the 4.4V is calculated?

Im not doing IC level, Im working with a discrete MOSFET circuit.
Im sorry but i couldnt get it clearly.Can you please tell me how the 4.4V is calculated?

Just see the Id~Vds curve for each Vgs There is a diffirent Vdssat,since Vdsat=Vgs-Vth.To keep in sat Vds >Vdssat for each Vgs
If u r keeping Vds constant at 1.9v,Vds<Vgs-Vth i.e. Vgs <Vds+Vth=1.9+2.5=4.4v.So for ur device in sat 2.5<Vgs <4.4.Now if ur increasing the Vgs >4.4v the device is in linear region(since Vds>Vdssat jst check for Vgs=5v Vdssat is 2.5 which is greater than 1.9v)
Sorry last time i wrote it 2.5<Vgs<4.4 it'll be in linear.
I hope this time it s clear

Now i want my Id to be 12A for Vgs =5V
As the datasheet reveals, rdson of the said transistor at Vgs of 5V is only a few mohm. So if you want fix Id and Vgs, Vds would be a few mV only. If Vds is fixed, you have to reduce Vgs.

It depends on your load. For example if you have a resistive load of 100-ohms, Power source of 12v, Vds at 1.9V, then you have an approx Id = (12V-1.9V)/100-Ohms = 101mA (RDS_on is not considered)....

It depends on your load.
I don't think so. Vds is the common term for the voltage at transistor terminals, not the supply voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.