Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitoring internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleborg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Recently I'm having some problems with my internet connection. So I thought that I could maybe I could write some program to monitor the connection and create a report of some sort about connection quality. Could somebody point me into some resources where i could start?? I know Java and C and i'm learning a bit of Perl, my os is linux/ubuntu.

Thanks in advance

google find lots of different solutions with java

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Use bash scripting is very easy:

see commands: dig (DNS resolution), ifconfig, ping, crontab

Enjoy

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply.

My LAN set-up is as follows: my PC -> wireles router -> modem -> cloud.
Would it be possible to detect where exactly connection drops?? Is it between my pc and router or between router or modem or modem and cloud??

Regards

You can make a script using the ping command and run it every minute scheduled in the crontab to see if internet failure.

ping -c4 router | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2}' | awk '{ print $1}'

where router is router ip. For example.

ping -c4 192.168.1.1 | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2}' | awk '{ print $1}'

see: h**p://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/simple-linux-and-unix-system-monitoring-with-ping-command-and-scripts.html

enjoy

Last edited:
It also should be mentioned that many home routers offer a logging service, by which detailed reports of the status of the router and WAN connection can be obtained. All that is required is setting up a freely available syslog server on your PC, select reporting level and point the logging service of the router to your PCs IP and open the necessary ports on your PC.

Using the log reporting feature coupled with the PING technique mentioned by aospinas and you have a fairly detailed status of your LAN and WAN connection.

BigDog

That's great guys, thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back