Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

momentary contact relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc204

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new here and have a basic electronics understaning (very basic). I have an electronic device that has seperate on/off switch and start/pause switch. I would like to activate it via a timer, but you have to hit the start/pause switch after turning it on to activate it. The start/pause switch is a pcb type push button. Pushing and holding or pushing and releasing activates it. Pushing again or releasing and pushing again places the device in hold. I can easily wire to the PCB to activate the switch. Is there a cheap momentary contact relay that I could use to mimic the pushing of the switch? This I could hook up to the timer to start and stop the unit.
An internet search did not reveal anything that I could recognize as doing what I need.

Thanks for the help,
Stuart

momentary relay

What you need is a monoshot built around say a 555 IC.Do a web search for 555 monoshot and see if you can build one.

momentary relay circuit

Thanks I found them. Now I just have to look at it and see if I can figure out hw to make it work for what I need. If I am thinking about this correctly my timer will activate a relay that will close pin 2 to ground and activate the 555. Output is pin 3. I can adjust how long it is active and only need the equivelent of a button push although longer is not an issue. I am not sure how this closes my switch contacts. Does this activate a second relay to close my switch? Or can I wire pin 3 output directly to the switch ?

When the timer goes off and the relay deactivates I need to have the circuit work again to place the controlled unit on pause. I guess I would need a SPDT relay to reactivate the circuit when the power is cut to the relay.
Am I making any sense?
Thanks,
Stuart

timer momentary close

Does this activate a second relay to close my switch? Or can I wire pin 3 output directly to the switch ?
In all probability you'll need to use a 2nd relay,cause we don't know what the switch connects to in the device circuitry.

When the timer goes off and the relay deactivates I need to have the circuit work again to place the controlled unit on pause. I guess I would need a SPDT relay to reactivate the circuit when the power is cut to the relay.
So you need 2 pulses separated by a time event;the 1st one at the start of the timer and the 2nd one when the timer stops,right?
I've attached a (crude) diagram.Have a look.There are 2 schemes;one which employs a dual monoshot(you may use a 556) and another which tries to do it with a single 555 and a dpdt relay.
Look at the 2nd and 3rd circuits here for 555 monoshots.... **broken link removed**

And before jumping in plz call the senior members in the forum to ratify the circuit.

how to use a pause button in relay diagram

Thanks I ended up doing something similar with a single relay and and an electronic timer with multiple on/off programing to mimic pushing the button and releasing several times to reset and start and stop the unit.
Thanks for your help.
Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back