Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Module to determine voltage requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacsophonist

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is there such a circuit/module that can automatically determine the voltage requirements of a connected device?
Example, it will have a 12V or 24V battery input, and there are 4 devices connected to it that require either 3.3V, 5V, or 12V.

Thank you

Solution
Automatic voltage detection works for battery chargers but can't work for most of the mentioned devices. Typically they will be destroyed without previous warning signs when exceeding a certain input voltage.

USB charging is an exception, all devices are suited for 5V, higher voltage can be agreed through protocol, refer to USB spec.
Hi,

"a device" is a rather vague description.
It could be a resistor, transitor, IC, cellular phone, LED, or millions others
It could be supplied with AC or DC
it could have a norm connector, a wireless power transfer, a battery, a transformer, a pv cell...

So the only answer can be: No, impossible.

Klaus

Hi Klaus, thanks for your response.
Sure, I can provide more information.
The battery I referred to would be either 12v or 24v DC.
By "devices" I mean consumer electronics (like a wireless router & raspberry pi) that are powered with a USB-C connection, as well as an ESP32 dev board that takes micro USB.
I'm currently using separate and specific buck converters between the battery and each electronic device, but I'm curious if there exists any module/etc. that can determine the voltage requirements of, and provide correct voltage to, each of these electronic devices on its own.

Automatic voltage detection works for battery chargers but can't work for most of the mentioned devices. Typically they will be destroyed without previous warning signs when exceeding a certain input voltage.

USB charging is an exception, all devices are suited for 5V, higher voltage can be agreed through protocol, refer to USB spec.

Solution

Thank you FvM, this is exactly what I needed to know. Will look into USB protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back