Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Models of decoupling capacitors

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for models of SMD ceramic de-coupling capacitors that defines ESL and ESR in different packages like 0603, 0805, 1206 for different capacitance. Do we have a database or online calculator to find these models ?

@danadakk, I am not sure if I would get the model parameters I am looking for. Do you know if the link you provided can also find ESL, ESR for capacitors in different SMD packages ? I have attached a datasheet. How can I find ESR and ESL of that capacitor ?

Attachments

• C0603X102J5GACAUTO.pdf
    463 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi,

If you consider the model to be a
* capacitor
* a stray L in series
* and an R (ESR) in series.

Then you have: F_res = 1/ ( 2 x Pi x sqrt(L x C))
C is given, f_res from the chart is about 200MHz.
So you can solve the equation.

Also at resonance (frequency) there is no impedance, pure ohmic resistance = ESR.
So if you wanr ESR then just read the chart for ESR at f_res

For sure there are more complex models, then finding out the values is more complicated

Edit: corrected formula (green)

Klaus

Last edited:
This means that ESR is the lowest value at the f_res in the impedance plot.
The ESL has to be found using f_res = 1/sqrt(L x C), where f_res is the resonant frequent, C is known and then we can find the value of L which is ESL. This means that we can't find the ESL directly from the inductance graph, right ?

Hi,

First: I made a mistake in my previous post:
f_res = 1/ ( 2 x Pi x Sqrt(L x C)).
(I missed to show the green part. I´ll try to correct this in the other post)

This means that ESR is the lowest value at the f_res in the impedance plot.
As said, it depends on the model you use. The lowest value in the impedance plot is a measure of all dissipated power. So if you have HF loss in the dielectric (or else where) then there is a difference between ESR and the lowest graph value.

This means that we can't find the ESL directly from the inductance graph, right ?
Yes, try. And compare the values.

Graphs:
Now I did recognize that there is an ESR graph. Here one can see that the ESR @ f_res is lower than the impedance, which makes sense because of the existance of other losses.
What´s unclear to me, why the ESR should be in the region of 200 Ohms at 1kHz.
Not that this matters much - it still is more than 2 decades below the impedance. But I did not expect this.

Klaus

Btw: did you try the "K-SIM" link in the datasheet?

Last edited:
L from inductance graph and fres should give similar results. Did you notice that Kemet K-SIM tool also generates SPICE models?

ESR and ESL in Capacitors :

Regards, Dana.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: