Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIMIC - Simple Analog BMS for tinkerers - Metric Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constructer

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is a MIMIC?
A mimic is one that mimics, often with out the time for detail.

This is a BMS I looked at some time back.
It is relatively simple to understand.

I am trying to do the exact opposite!
In another thread:
https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=366652

This idea could control the charge voltage on capacitors for my application!
The complexity is a bit beyond me at the moment.
This thread is otherwise opposite in application.

-------------------------------------------

MIMIC - Simple Analog BMS for tinkerers - Metric Mind
Simple Analog BMS ‐ CURRENTEVENTS ‐ Victor Tikhonov ‐ Metric Mind Corporation ‐ December 2012

Normally the BMS also takes care of auxiliary functions such as controlling main contactors and the
charger. It works like this: after a cell’s voltage, temperature (and sometimes capacity) data is
collected and massaged, based on some proprietary algorithm — a decision is made which cells to
shunt current away from and when to do so.

This is usually done during charging so the overall capacity of the pack is not reduced due to
balancing activity. When a cell is shunted, current that used to flow entirely through it, is split in two
paths thus reducing that cell’s share of total current.

This causes the shunted cell to be charged at slower rate, and thus accumulate less Ah over time
than the unshunted cells. Since with passive balancing charge can only be removed, only cells with
extra charge are shunted. The goal is to keep all cells in balance at all times. While that sounds
simple, the first difficulty comes from the ambiguity of definition “cell balance”.

Part 1:
**broken link removed**
Part 2:
**broken link removed**

In a single PDF:
http://docdro.id/gzvOaUX

I found it very interesting, it might spark a few ideas.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.