Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microwave power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzewani

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microwave power amplifier

Hi

who knows any guid or application note describe step by step how to design microwave power amplifier ,i have cripps books but it is not as clear as it should be

active load pull in ads

mzewani said:
Hi

who knows any guid or application note describe step by step how to design microwave power amplifier ,i have cripps books but it is not as clear as it should be

try the toshiba appl. note for IM transistors
philips for b-polar (0-4 ghz)
amcom have good a.n.

after reading those a.n. give me your freq and power and gain. and use and i will give u some hints

best regard elad

eladg said:
mzewani said:
Hi

amcom have good a.n.

after reading those a.n. give me your freq and power and gain. and use and i will give u some hints

best regard elad
hi eladg!
i want to design a microwave pulse PA that outputs 110W operating on 2.3GHz ,and i want to use PH2226(macom's transistor)..can u give me some application notes.

110W ?? :?

100W isnt good enough ? :wink:

HNY !!!!

PS
Ill be happy with 1W on 2g4 !! (with rx/tx switch) !

e971 said:
eladg said:
mzewani said:
Hi

amcom have good a.n.

best regard elad
hi eladg!
i want to design a microwave pulse PA that outputs 110W operating on 2.3GHz ,and i want to use PH2226(macom's transistor)..can u give me some application notes.

hi
i dont like macom pa , bc the p1db is near to psat, so i got alot of spur

Hi,

For appnotes try the following links:

Fujitsu: (in the appnotes you will find allmoust step by step description)

hxxp://www.fcsi.fujitsu.com/products/AppNotesTechArticles.htm

I don't find the CEL/NEC appnotes on the website of CEL hxxp://www.cel.com (AN1030,1036,1038), if you don't find them, I will u/l

also look for GaAs Fets at Mitsubishi (they have high power transistors)

hxxp://www.mitsubishichips.com/products/wave/datasheet/mw_lsband_gaas.html

regards, Al

PS don't forget to replace x with t

hi
can we use s parameters to design power amplifier matching
the sparameters which i have are measured at large signal not at small signal as it is at 8v 250 mA but many books say that we can not use s parameters to do the matching
any comments are welcome

When you use s-parameters for matching, you are assuming the transistor is running in the small signal linear conditions. With power amplifiers, the operating point of the device shifts over the RF cycle which makes the s-parameters not very useful. What you should do is a load pull analysis. Plots these contours for gain/IP3/Pout on a Smith chart. Then you can select the match for the desired gain/IP3/Pout.

toonafishy said:
When you use s-parameters for matching, you are assuming the transistor is running in the small signal linear conditions. With power amplifiers, the operating point of the device shifts over the RF cycle which makes the s-parameters not very useful. What you should do is a load pull analysis. Plots these contours for gain/IP3/Pout on a Smith chart. Then you can select the match for the desired gain/IP3/Pout.

hi toonafishy:
can u give me somes details abt the analysis、simulation and measurement of load-pull ?
by the way , give me some info. about high power transistors vender
thax alt!!!!

e971 said:
toonafishy said:

hi toonafishy:
can u give me somes details abt the analysis、simulation and measurement of load-pull ?
by the way , give me some info. about high power transistors vender
thax alt!!!!

to make load pull u need tuner, and it is not easy to do.
u can use s parameter, get the linear model (for one bais point) and then change the output res to 80-75% of his value and then u can use the new s-parameter to match it.
about the gain u know the p1dB from the datasheet

u can do it at 10 min

Hi,

You can use the load line method of Cripps, (you use the static IV curves)

Check the post below

**broken link removed**

you find a step by step decription in the indicated @gilent appnote.

regards, Al

You can use small signal S-parameter provided to match for gain and check its stability under small signal operation. To design power amplifier, you definitely need tuner to find out the optimum load impedance either by passive load pull or active load pull. You need 2 tuners if you implement Passive load pull. Source Pull for power gain and load for high output power. For accurate device characterization, you should try active load pull. Bear in mind, active load pull need complete load pull system, which is very expensive.

Besides load pull experiement to achieve high output power and PAE, you should also consider the layout, heatsink and DC biasing circuit. Consider using thermally and electrically conductive epoxy if you design High frequency Power Amplfier (10W at X/KU band). It helps a lot as I faced this problem before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back