Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microvolt power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul98

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hope it's the right section.I need to generate a stabilized voltage of +100uV. Is it feasible to get it with any voltage regulator that provides 1.25 or more volts and lower the voltage with a drop resistor in series or voltage divider without knowing the drain? The purpose of this circuit is to test micro-signal amplification devices. The length of wiring is short and i think is needed few mA of current. Thanks.

Hi,

What accuracy/precision do you need?
Fixed output voltage or adjustable? (what range and resolution?)
You need to give at least an idea of load current range or load resistance range.

Klaus

Consider a buffer amplifier built with a "zero offset" OP.

Calculating the voltage drop of a passive divider is however easy.

@KlausST
100uV +/-10% may be enough . Once set it will be fixed but only so as not to complicate the circuit.

@FvM
Did you mean with negative Gain? Never tried but i think is feasible.

@danadakk
I would prefer to use THT resistors as they are easier to remove in case of replacement. I also know that the material produces noise. I wonder if an SMD resistor can make more noise than a wire wound THT resistor.

Hi,

100uV +/-10% may be enough
Is the +/- 10% the expected accuracy, the expected precision, or the adjustment range?
But without current ... it´s meaningless anyways.

Klaus

@KlausST
100uV +/-10% may be enough . Once set it will be fixed but only so as not to complicate the circuit.

@FvM
Did you mean with negative Gain? Never tried but i think is feasible.

@danadakk
I would prefer to use THT resistors as they are easier to remove in case of replacement. I also know that the material produces noise. I wonder if an SMD resistor can make more noise than a wire wound THT resistor.
A good reference -

Regards, Dana.

@KlausST

Expected 100uV . It's also ok from 90uV to 110uV. Once the voltage closest to 100uV is obtained it will be fixed and permanent.

@danadakk

When we talk about micro signals I understand that it is therefore not recommended putting resistors in the signal line. At this point it is convenient to discard the idea of a resistor as a voltage drop on the signal. It seems the best solution is an op amp as suggested by @FvM or your Vref advice.

It seems the best solution is an op amp as suggested by @FvM or your Vref advice.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends.

If the current is 1A, then a usual OPAMP can´t drive it. If it is 1nA then the OPAMP may cause more error than anything else....
Somewhere inbetween an OPAMP may make sense... one has to do error calculations...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back