Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Oscilllator Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshkuruganti

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microstrip oscillator design

Hi, I saw s53mv's Wideband Microstrip Oscillator and wanted to build it.I want to know how to go about designing Microstrip Oscillator as I want to learn:| how to design it rather than copy the original.Thanks

s53mv

Start off by reading "Oscillator Design and Computer Simulation" from Rhea. Not always theoretically deeply founded but gives you good insight and helps you gain experience fast.

microstrip oscillator

Here is the book that is very good for start.

Best regards,
RF-OM

microstrip oscillator

If you already have some RF experience, books would not help too much.
Designing this oscillator is very straightforward. The best would be to have access to a microstrip CAD simulator like MWO, Genesys or ADS. In this case you have only to follow the author description and tune the circuit for your particular PCB.
I built myself these VCOs and were necessarily only minor adjustments compared to the original schematic.

microstrip hamradio

vfone, I don't agree on that. You should get to know the basics on loaded and unloaded Q first, on loop gain and stability criterions. That's what you need some literature for. Then you can start simulating and experimenting.

I agree that RF design experience is built only by experimenting a lot, but if you don't know the basics you'll advance slower or make the wrong conclusions.

Just my 2 cents.

s53mv vco

S53MV has explained very nicely how he has designed an oscillator.
Try with fixed frequency oscillator.
His method is He has built an amplifier & then provided positive feedback. see the filter in feedback path.
He has added that lengths to adjust phase shift & filter will select specific band only.
The gaps between microstrip line is critical.
If you are beginner, go for series fed oscillator.
**broken link removed**
You must have simulator if you want to build oscillator fast. otherwise you have to do lot of experimentation & it takes time.
Also It is not easy to copy anyone's design,
trsut me that oscillator will starts amplifying if any one dont have good hands on microstrip circuit.
:)
S53MV is very experienced person.
Best of Luck

microstrip oscillator

The author of this circuit explained very well how to design this oscillator and you don’t need to read extra books IF YOU HAVE SOME RF EXPERIENCE, as I mentioned previously.

http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/spectana/vco.html

The question of the topic was not about “How to invent the Colpitts oscillator when my name is Smith”

My 3 cents

new s53mv

Please review

David

Hi everyone,

I need a microstrip oscillator schematic with brief expressions. I am going to simulate it in MWO and later i will implement it. Oscillation frequency will be 100 MHz. I searched on internet and couldn't find about 100 MHz. They are generally above 2.4 GHz. Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I need a microstrip oscillator schematic with brief expressions. I am going to simulate it in MWO and later i will implement it. Oscillation frequency will be 100 MHz. I searched on internet and couldn't find about 100 MHz. They are generally above 2.4 GHz. Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Generally microstrip resonators use quarter wavelength lines, which at 100MHz will be very long and hard to implement it.

For 100MHz don´t use microstrip resonator. It will be much to big. Built a colpitts LC Oscillator with about 150nH...220nH Resonator inductor and appropriate capacitors. If low close in phase noise is important use RF Feedback and big emitter resistors of about 2,2kOhm for small collector current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back