Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller in industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

hr_rezaee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
whitch microcontroller is suitable for industrial environment?
please compare noise and cost.
thanks

Hi,
no offense but your question is incomplete at best.

In general microcontrollers with -40/85C temperature range are considered industrial.
Now, there are 4-bit microcontrollers and if I am not mistaken 64-bit micros and in between 8/12/14(PIC)/16/32 bit micros.
Cost is relative to what you need to do and again in general, a single chip solution generates less noise than one with an external bus.

So, my questions to you:
What do you want to do with the microcontroller?
Is this any volume production?
The question about the volume production is because it is worth to trim software to a minimum for large quantities saving 50 cent on the micro but investing weeks and months in the software.
If it is a project let's say 100 pieces, investing the time to save 100 times 50 cent would be a little wrong.
So, may be someone can help you more with more information from your end first

hr_rezaee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi
thanks
ok. i want 8 bit microcontrollers. it will work in very noisy environment. I want make just one device. therefor what is suitable micro ?
thanks

all the major producers have Industrial versions of their chips but that is putting the cart before the horse.

You will need to follow a process:
- determine your needs (number of I/O pins, ADC or not, communications, etc)
- select a supplier (almost any will do - Atmel or Microchip are the leaders)
- select a chip with the right feature set and an industrial rating
- design a board for the chip, use lots of optoisolators and drivers. follow good engineerin practices for noise immunity

or,
- select a PLC which meets your feature needs - they are engineered for industrial environments.

google PLC for more info,

After you did what philba recommended, continue and make your circuit save against hang ups.
I would recommend an external watchdog or a device that has an independent internal watchdog with an own oscillator.
Try to use a device that has the option to enable watchdog at Reset without software needing to start it.
You want to use a brownout detect circuit either internal or external
If at all possible no external bus as already mentioned
If in doubt add that additional capacitor ;-)
Use devices that have noise filters for the interrupt inputs if you plan to use interrupts
I could go on for a while but I guess you need to gather some experience and then become better and better.

Bob

hr_rezaee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you can use (plc)programmble logic controller using in the industry and easy to programusing loder diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.