Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller based access control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuntu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am a newbie to microcontrollers and i want to build a microcontroller based access control for place like stadium, first of all i want to have a storage for all ticket information for specific matchday, then i prefered to use barcode ticket. So at the entrance gate there will be barcode reader so visitor has to scan ticket, then microcontroller has to check if its valid or it has already been used, if valid ticket the microcontroller has to open gate for visitor,
please i really need help on how to do this, do i need computer for stotage of database for tickets or? if yes how can i access it? how do i interconnect all these to get them working together?
Please kindly need your help.

This is a big project if you new to microcrontrollers, start off with somethig simple like flash LED'S write to LC and say hello world, There are plenty of sites to get info from is my advise
you have to consider what langauge you want to write it in, what typr of micro etc etc,,,,,,,

Hi,

Agree with Wizpic 100%, though to me your project really sounds more like it needs PC based system with plenty of HDD space and speed , perhaps using micros at the points of entry for ticket validation /entry.

Don't want to be discouraging, but think it would be a challenge to a professional programmer, never mind a newbie ....

This is a big project if you new to microcrontrollers, start off with somethig simple like flash LED'S write to LC and say hello world, There are plenty of sites to get info from is my advise
you have to consider what langauge you want to write it in, what typr of micro etc etc,,,,,,,

Thanx wizpic, but what kind of hardware device do i need because i have to buy and ship them earlier to complete project in time

I've implemented several systems of equal or greater capability and I would agree with wp100 in that this particular project would benefit from the use of a central PC as a database server.

And although you could design a microcontroller based entry/validation nodes, I would also recommend purchasing thin clients, which you can purchased used for pennies on the dollar, in the $10 to $20 range, from ebay listings.

Thin clients have the advantage of offering an Ethernet port, USB ports, VGA port, a fast processor and enough flash to implement either an Embedded Linux or Windows OS.

An inexpensive 10/100 switch would tie the entire system together nicely.

Symbol bar code reader/scanners with a USB interface to read the tickets barcode.

Possibly either a small VGA or USB based display to indicate ticket accepted or denied along with a reason for the denial or a retail display pole like a Logic Controls series.

A Linux based system using a MySQL database, would be obviously the least expensive option, but with a possibly longer development time for the software.

A Windows based system would benefit from the the use of the .NET framework and your preferred HLL, a MySQL database could still be used in a Windows OS.

BigDog

Hello,
I am a newbie to microcontrollers and i want to build a microcontroller based access control for place like stadium, first of all i want to have a storage for all ticket information for specific matchday, then i prefered to use barcode ticket. So at the entrance gate there will be barcode reader so visitor has to scan ticket, then microcontroller has to check if its valid or it has already been used, if valid ticket the microcontroller has to open gate for visitor,
please i really need help on how to do this, do i need computer for stotage of database for tickets or? if yes how can i access it? how do i interconnect all these to get them working together?
Please kindly need your help.

You dont have security backrgound with this, system is bad and its doomed to failure. I dont want to discourage you, but to make attention on some disadvantages. Its ok to do this, to develop and learn about barcode system with µC.

What will happen if someone use fake and non-used existing barcode from database, before real owner ticket ?

A Wand Based Barcode Scanner
https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2004/mtf23/BarcodeScanner/index.htm

closeup1.jpg

Connecting barcode scanner to Arduino using USB Host Shield
https://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/connecting-barcode-scanner-arduino-usb-host-shield

**broken link removed**

The incidence of successful counterfeiting can be greatly reduced if the services of an event ticket printing service is used whom offer either a security foil or hologram feature.

Also while the tickets can be sequentially numbered for ease of inventory, however the barcode should be non-sequential and of a much greater range then the actual number of tickets.

Access to a centralized database would also be a requirement to minimize the incidence of successful counterfeiting, unless of course there is only one entry point.

And to repeat, although it is certainly possible to design and build a microcontroller based entry/validation nodes, the price point of used thin clients makes it difficult to justify.

You can purchase thin clients with 2GB of Flash and 1GB RAM in lots of three or more with the unit price under $20 which can support either Embedded Linux or Windows OS.

Considering the development time, the requirement to access a centralized database, the advantage of the thin clients built-in Ethernet versus the cost of adding the capability to an Arduino or other inexpensive microcontroller platform along with the numerous other benefits of a thin client should make it an easy decision.

BigDog

Thanx bigdogguru,
Let me start work on what you have suggested, whnever i get stack i will consult you

You should be able to find most of the hardware needed to implement the system on eBay.

I've implement large multisite Point-of-Sale (POS) systems using almost entirely used hardware and saved a considerable amount of the budget.

The MySQL database server can be an out-dated system Pentium III or Pentium IV, although you might want to consider installing a SATA/ATA RAID card so that you can mirror the data on two drives.

During the 90's I designed and implemented a MySQL database server using a Pentium I running SCO UNIX, to track and log tens of thousands of calling cards.

The entry/validation nodes, thin clients, can still run an Embedded Windows OS which support application development in Visual Studio using the .NET Framework.

The MySQL Database Engine offers several open source APIs which can be incorporated into the Embedded Windows App, making the connection to a Linux based server running MySQL fairly straight forward.

Even going this route, the project is quite large so you'll need to do your homework, however at least you will not have to develop the lower level firmware for a microcontroller based solution.

The even the low level network socket programming is encapsulated in the MySQL Database connection or ODBC API.

BigDog

Hello bigdogguru,
to start with I just wanted to implement working prototype, i want to use my laptop to store my database then connect barcode scanner to it, when the ticket is scanned, the ticket number has to be sent to a database for validation purpose, if its valid i have to send a signal to microcontroller which which enable it to open the gate, if the ticket is not valid also i have to send message to the microcontroller showing the reason for a denial, will this be feasible? Or what else do i need to come out with a working prototype?

Status
Not open for further replies.