Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontrolled water heater controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lassy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
thermostamp.html

hi there!

I have been assigned a project whereby I have to
design a microcontroller based controller for a
domestic geyser/water heater.

basically the requirements of the controller is for
the user to be able to key in desired temp and on/off
times for the geyser.there should also be some kinda
fedback once the desired temp has been reached and an
alarm when the temp has exceeded a max temp setting.

please,if you can help,contact me!any help whatsoevre
would be greatly appreciated...even if its just some advice on which microcontroller and other devices to use because i have little to no knowlege on microcontrollers or how they work.can also email at lasborn@yahoo.co.uk

please help me!

thanks

Check this site:
**broken link removed**

you have to use only the R1, R2 and the 0.1uF condensator.
This will be supplyed by 5 V as in the schematic and the other terminal has to be entered into the analog in of a microcontroller.
The temperature regulator will be commanded using PWM, or depending which circuit you desire.

Tibi

for feedback u can use LM35 temperature sensor

Dalas Semi makes a nice stainless cased digital tempature sensor.

**broken link removed**

They work great and is easy to set up.

Kent

here are some key things to remember
- design for application (what are your requirements?)
- cost is everything. do not use a $3 temperature sensor, when a 50 cent version will work just as good.
- from a school point of view, it is better to build something that takes some thought than to copy/paste result.

some things to consider
- linearize your temperature sensor (if it needs it)
- use schmitt trigger with hystoresis for your temperature set points (you can software program the same effect if using a microcontroller)
- thermistors are cheap
- most of your cost will be because of the temperature probe itself. mounting it inside of a water tank + water proof will be tricky.
- Microchip makes the microcontrollers & also see their temperature sensors part number TC620

teachers love bells & whistles
- for ease of implementation and prototype, nothing beats the 1-wire interface for microcontroller applications
- also consider driving an LED or buzzer for two indications, water temp in Safe Operating Area or water temp is Over Temperature.
- on/off switch
- how can u make the quiesent current small?

Mr.Cool

If the heater is AC, you should not use PWM due to the noise it creates. You can use an SCR, probably optically isolated, or a solid state relay. The SCR has an additional benefit of proportional control rather than on/off, but it doesn't sound like you need that.

For the heater, you will also want to inhibit switching around the set point with a small amount of hysteresis or just a delay. Otherwise it could be set at 100F and at exactly 100F it would switch on and off, on and off as noise varies the ADC reading by a fraction of a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.