Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

micro controller comparison with fpga and dsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_pourfathi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga comarpison with micros and dsp

Can anyone give me details and documents about advantages and disadvantages, usages and comparison of FPGAs, MicroControllers and DSPs?

İ only know DSP s are much more faster and they are effective on high speed realtime ıssues like video processing...

But i really would like to have a better answer if anyone helps...

If you can use microblaze soft processor through FPGA then FPGA is good resource. By using processors you can improve your product cycle time. But any way it is difficult to use processors where you require parallel processing and in case of complex calculations it is advisable to use processors.
FPGA with microblaze processor can do both parallel processing as well as complex calculations (floating point operations).

Re: fpga comarpison with micros and dsp

Microcontroller and DSP have general architecture, which can be differentiated is basic blocks like ALU, bus interfaceing unit and So on with specifice functionality

If you want to program these Microcontroller then you need to know the architecture thoroughly. Then and then only its possible to burn the programs.

If you see the FPGA, you can program them without thinking about what's inside. This can be done at very low level of applications. But if you are doing some complecated application then having knowledge about the internal architecture will be added advantage.

What I have wrote is very basic differance.

For detailing just look at there archtectural diferance. You will get your answer

gck said:
Microcontroller and DSP have general architecture, which can be differentiated is basic blocks like ALU, bus interfaceing unit and So on with specifice functionality

If you want to program these Microcontroller then you need to know the architecture thoroughly. Then and then only its possible to burn the programs.

If you see the FPGA, you can program them without thinking about what's inside. This can be done at very low level of applications. But if you are doing some complecated application then having knowledge about the internal architecture will be added advantage.

What I have wrote is very basic differance.

For detailing just look at there archtectural diferance. You will get your answer
You made it sound like FPGA are the ultimate future of every electronics/IT engineer. But using FPGA is much more complicated than building a program for uC or DSP. Basicly one need much through knowledge of logical electronic elements, how they work and how can you build them in order to write good piece of code for FPGA. Of course the FPGA combined with skilled hardware developer has much more potential in complex calculations than uC, like f.e. video encoding/decoding and so on. But if project can be easily done on uC or DSP than going for FPGA is usualy unnecessary (especialy because FPGAs are much more expensive than all uC and most of DSP).
But don't get me wrong I love FPGA and work almost only with them :p

Added after 3 minutes:

And one more thing, in my opinion the biggest difference is that on FPGA you write your code so that all processes and calculations were made parallel in oposite to uC and DSP where almost everything is sequential

Re: fpga comarpison with micros and dsp

Isn't it better to use DSPs in complicated calculative processes like video or audio encoding? I the encoding is not done in parallel.
What about micro-controllers? what is the exact difference between DSPs and Micro-Controllers? My guess is DSPs can do a few highly complicated calculative tasks, but Micro-Controllers are Much more robust than DSPs when comparing the tasks they can do, but with less processing power. Am I right?
I do appreciate you guys can give me and example of a communications system, like the source part, encoder, decoder, modulation block and tell me which part is implemented on FPGA, DSP or Micro-Controllers, that would be very useful.

m_pourfathi said:
Isn't it better to use DSPs in complicated calculative processes like video or audio encoding?
it depends, because if you are creating a new approach to some video analysis it is usually more efficient to design it on FPGA than on DSP, basically creating FGPA design is compleatly different approach than designing system on DSP

FPGA,DSP,MCU are different and they to their specific job.
FPGA used for Prototyping in IC designing and as Low Production ASICs
It has a parallel (not sequential) innate so it has it's application

DSP have more powerful instruction that can execute computation faster.
example, it could be a multiply instruction where it can do a multiplication in one clock cycle. Another example it can do data array process commonly used in DSP algorithm/math.
FPGA is even faster where the above kind of process is hard wired, instead of in sync with the clock cycle. Result is a lot faster. You can imagine it is those logic gates that we learn in digital electronics. The time delay between the input and output is almost instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.