Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Micro camera data wireless transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek046

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to transmit data(video) from the mini CCTV camera given in this link-
**broken link removed** over RF to a LCD display circuit.

I don't need the processor in my circuit to do any sort of manipulation with the video. The camera outputs in PAL/NTSC format & this output should be merely transmitted to my display circuit over RF. The TI ez430-rf2500 would be an easy solution for this as I'm familiar with MSP430 series & this model has a transceiver & an ADC built into it. Also, low power is a critical requirement in my design which can be achieved with the ez430. Using 2 of these devices, I can transmit the camera output from 1 ez430 to another and then to my display.

However, I happened to find out that the MSP430 series lacks the RAM capacity to process videos. Since, I don't need to do any "processing" with the video output, would it be possible to still use the ez430? Resolution, definition, quality,etc are not of much importance to me. The video must be "viewable" on the display, that's it.
If not, how should I go about with this problem? Which processor/launchpad/etc should I use for this? Is there something similar to the ez430 which is meant for such purposes?

Please note that the device needs to be very power efficient and small in size like the ez430.

For such applications involving massive data stream I presume you should employ cores able to handle external data memories, such as an ARM based platform which seems best suitable. Note that referred camera exhibit a significant resolution.

+++

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, the camera circuit must merely capture the video & transmit it off to the receiver display circuit. Its like, the transmitting circuit merely "dumps" the camera output to the receiver. The conversion from analog(PAL/NTSC) to digital must take place at the receiver end because the camera circuit must consume as low power as possible(that's the main part of the project). So, all the processing,etc must take place only at the receiver side.
Since, you've cleared the fact that the MSP430 series does not have the capability to handle such massive data, how should I go about this problem using an ARM processor(preferably belonging to TI)? Any references/sample designs/related circuits? I chose the ez430 only because I'm already using it for other purposes on the same camera circuit & I can avoid the transmitter circuit design which is inbuilt in it.

Note that referred camera exhibit a significant resolution. +++

Please do note that, its the power design for the camera end circuit that's of core importance & not the camera circuit itself! The latter serves as a mere application or demonstration for the innovative power design that I'm using. Hence, output quality, resolution, bitrate,etc are of no importance to me. I'm an EE student & don't know much about image processing either. If it consumes low power & displays with even "ok" quality, I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

The central point of advice given before did not concern to core processing fitness, but to ability to deal with massive data storage, which can be achieved with core based on architectures employing large external memories. Probably I could had a misunderstanding presuming you will deal with a protocol which require negotiation, and therefore a presumed need to locally buffer certain amount of data.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.