Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metals used in IC fabrications

Status
Not open for further replies.

libinpk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone list the metals that are used in the actual IC fabrication processes?M1-M12:?:

You don't mention a process, but I seem to think some also use tungsten or tungsten alloy.

Keith

Tungsten is used at Metal 0 zero level to avoid ohmic contact issues...upper layers include copper , aluminium and silver

Tungsten is used at Metal 0 zero level to avoid ohmic contact issues...upper layers include copper , aluminium and silver

Only four types of metals are listed above. For 6 metal layer design, only these 3-4 metals will be used in alternative way or they use 6 different metals??

All M1-M10 are copper alloy (with small % of aluminum). I think no use aluminum alone now a days because of electromigration issues. Vias are formed using Tungsten.

Hi,

Metal are usually done by Copper and Silver Alloys.
VIA's are done by Tungeston materials to avoid ohmic contact issues.

Better understanding read any CMOS FABRICATION books.

Thanks and regards,
Basu

Copper mainly from M1 to top metal layer. Cu(Mn) Alloy with TaN/Co liner is used to reduce electromigration (Check IEDM 2012 Paper 33.7). Tungsten (W) is used for contacts and vias. Below 28nm node 2 local interconnects are being used (1 to connect M1 to gates and 2nd to connect M1 to S/D) and there is a discussion (I am not sure if foundries are already doing it) of moving the local interconnects to W from Cu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back