Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metallized polyster film and ceramic capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcwortex

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
maybe, anybody know why metallized polyster film capacitor is better than ceramic capacitor. I want to make main filter so I want to know why?

Making your own mains filter is dangerous. You could start a fire or electrocute yourself with the wrong design. It is better to buy one. If you insist on making your own, you need to get capacitors rated as X and Y use. X is line to line and Y is line to ground/earth.

flatulent said:
Making your own mains filter is dangerous. You could start a fire or electrocute yourself with the wrong design. It is better to buy one. If you insist on making your own, you need to get capacitors rated as X and Y use. X is line to line and Y is line to ground/earth.

I make this main filter

**broken link removed**

I could not buy because I am a students of automation engineer and I have make supply unit of frequency conversion.

I don't know in this scheme are ceramic or metallized polyester film capacitor or maybe it is other capacitor?

pcwortex said:
I make this main filter. I don't know in this scheme are ceramic or metallized polyester film capacitor or maybe it is other capacitor?
It may be any one of them provided the capacitance, and the volatge ratings are same as mentioned or more than that. Generally polyester capacitors are used in Electrical filter deisgns due to thier high voltage capacities. Cheers

If you had ever taken a look at capacitor manufacturer or distributor catalogs, you won't need to ask. You hardly won't find a ceramic capacitor with 275 VAC rating and more than a few 10 nF capacitance. Furthermore, your schematic already suggests a reasonable package size (22.5 mm pin distance). Metallized polyester is basically a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.