Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal Wire sizing in Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Members,

I need your help to define the appropriate width of the metal wire in Layout.
I mean by "appropriate width": The minimum width needed to not make the circuits heat. In fact this is very important since using narrow wire eases Routing and sometimes enable using less metal layers.
I know that the computation depends on the current that will flow inside the wire and the geometric dimension of the cross-section of the wire.

In my case (0.18 µm process) I have a 2µA current but I dont know the Wire cross section dimesion. Can you help ?

As you said, it is depending on process and current value.
I would say that with 2ua you'll never have any kind of problem even with minimum metal width.
A dummy rule is 1mA every um of metal width.
I'm talking about M1. For metal above M1 is even better.

CHEK UR DRM (Design Rule Manual) for 180nm ,

Electromigration Part

A+

Hi, AdvaRes,

As dalraist said, you needn't worry about this, especially this tiny current. In PA or ESD, there maybe large current radiating heat.

Hi ,

For any process fab will give a current density for each metal in per micon like µamps/u. if you want route 2µA signal first decide the which metal to route & the take fab given spec for current density. calculate width required by deviding actual routing current by current density for that metal.

AdvaRes said:
Hi Members,

I need your help to define the appropriate width of the metal wire in Layout.
I mean by "appropriate width": The minimum width needed to not make the circuits heat. In fact this is very important since using narrow wire eases Routing and sometimes enable using less metal layers.
I know that the computation depends on the current that will flow inside the wire and the geometric dimension of the cross-section of the wire.

In my case (0.18 µm process) I have a 2µA current but I dont know the Wire cross section dimesion. Can you help ?

u should check the DRC file for the current density of the wire but for a 2uA i think the minimum width it good but the IR drop will be high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back