Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memory type to be used for interfacing with counter in vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjanavee

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey Im new to vhdl and i would like to know what type of memory i could use for storing data from a synchronous counter of size 1200 binsize( not bits)

You can use any kind of memory you like. I don't understand the question.

And I know what bits and bytes and words are; I don't know what "binsize(not bits)" is.

Your question is not clear.
Well just to tell you....counter itself will be having storage elements 'Flip-Flops'...
Aprt form that if you need memory (register) to store counter state..then kindly mention....
Best of luck

Your question is not clear.
Well just to tell you....counter itself will be having storage elements 'Flip-Flops'...
Aprt form that if you need memory (register) to store counter state..then kindly mention....
Best of luck
Hmmm okk.. so other than the flip flops present in the counter I would like to use another memory element!

- - - Updated - - -

You can use any kind of memory you like. I don't understand the question.

And I know what bits and bytes and words are; I don't know what "binsize(not bits)" is.

well "BINS" are just discrete intervals.. intervals in a bar graph or some such thing. So in my experiment each bin consists of 2-3 bits of data.. so i just need a memory other than the ones present in a counter im using for counting purposes.. so yes.. any suggestions?

Last edited:

OK...Give more details of counter application....what exactly a counter should do...
So that we can suggest proper solution to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you need to count BINs OR want repeatative addition of BINs. Well If your BINs size is 2-3 bytes and you have around 1200 BINs data then in this case you have to use Block RAM in FPGA...if you are storing each BIN value then you need 1200*3=3600 Bytes=3.6KB of block ram...
Things will be more clear if you could provide a block diagram of your appln.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back