Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring input impedance of an amplifier in lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

bababui

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need to measure the input impedance of an amplifier in lab. This amplifier is basicaly a black box with a known gain.
I was thinking to use a function generator with a variable resistor in series between the function generator and the input of the amplifier.
Then measure the output of the amplifier while tweaking the series resistor, and when the output/gain=input then my amplifier resistance=resistance of the adjustablel resistor.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything, or if there is another/proper way to do this.

Thank you.

You can try this
**broken link removed**

Alex

You can try this
**broken link removed**

Alex

Thanks for your response. Is there anything wrong with the method that I mentioned? Can I use regular ohmmeters to measure V1 and V2 in the mothod that you proposed?
Thanks you.

There is no reason to measure the output of the amplifier, a measurement in the input of the amplifier will give you an accurate result without having to calculate any gain.
You need a voltmeter to measure the voltages

Alex

Thanks for your response. Is there anything wrong with the method that I mentioned? Can I use regular ohmmeters to measure V1 and V2 in the mothod that you proposed?
Thanks you.

I am not sure about your method: (Quote): output/gain=input then my amplifier resistance=resistance

I think, the ratio output/gain=input always applies.
You should try to be a liitle more exact. What input? At the black box or at the additional resistor Rs ?
In any case, I think the approach could be as follows:

If you know the gain A, you can measure Vout and calculate

Rs=rin in case Vout=A*Vin/2 (with Vin=input to Rs)

Status
Not open for further replies.