Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measurement of Output Voltage for a rectifier using filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaikss

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

I need your help in understanding the concept.
Actually, I am trying to understand the grounding concept here:

Attached is the snapshot:

1. Initially, I tried to monitor the voltage between the drain of PMOS(Vh) and drain of NMOS(Vl). Since there is no cap and no resistor, I observed ripple.
Second attachment is the output of the same.

2. Then I connected a cap in between net 'vh' and net 'vl'. Then I observed a drop down in the voltage as shown in third file.
3. Out of my curiosity and to cross-check how grounding impacts: I have conducted below experiment:

I connected one end of cap of 1pf and res of 100K to Vh and the other end of cap and res are grounded. I measured the output between Vh and Vl. As expected, I observed the output as in case 1.

4. I grounded Vl (which shouldn't be case) and grounded one end of cap and res to ground while the other end is being connected to Vh. I observed output across resistor. Fourth file is attached for its output. In this attached file, there are two plots. The plot with lower voltage is the one I have observed when I measured the voltage across resistor when it is grounded and Vl is not grounded.

5. Later on, from my experiment 2, I realized that the voltage is drooping down. So, I increased the time scale and then checked how its actually going on. I observed some interesting results. Fifth file is attached.

Can you explain me why it is happening so?

If I go for N-stage rectifier, the Vl of first stage is always grounded.
So, is it good practice to do so.

Please clarify my queries.

What is the circuit supposed to do? Where is the output? Why are you using such a fast time scale?

1pf is a very small capacitor, smaller than most circuit stray capacitances. For power circuits the capacitors should be in the nF or uF region.

What is the circuit supposed to do? Where is the output? Why are you using such a fast time scale?

1pf is a very small capacitor, smaller than most circuit stray capacitances. For power circuits the capacitors should be in the nF or uF region.

Hi,

This circuit acts as a rectifier. The output is observed between the terminals of Drains of PMOS and NMOS.
If I use 1uf cap, the settling time for the dc voltage to get stabilized result is more and so I tried to decrease the cap value.

Can you explain this behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back