Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measurement Circuit for Capacitive Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

furkan

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitive sensor circuit

I have been struggling with this topic for months and this forum is my last hope.

I have a pressure sensor. This sensor can be modeled as a capacitor. When a pressure is applied to it, it develops a voltage between the upper and the lower electrodes (charges the capacitor). The voltage developed is proportional to the pressure on the capacitor.

With a single sensor, it is not a problem to measure the voltage. Amplifying it with an op-amp and feeding it to the ADC of a microcontroller.

But I need to measure several sensors, connected in matrix mode. The schematics for 2x2 and 3x3 connections are given below.

In this mode of operation I will use multiplexing to measure each sensor capacitor voltage. I will measure the voltages between any two nodes. (I believe one of the nodes has to be the common ground with the microcontroller for ADC conversion).

There is a serious drawback of this connection ( can better be understood by the 2x2 matrix ). When different pressures are applied to each sensor, each capacitor will charge to different voltages.

The question is: due to the different voltages developing on different capacitors, will there be a flow of current that will change the voltages on the capacitors?

How can I measure the voltage developed on each capacitor at the time of the contact?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.