Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure the rdson during final test

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj95

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all:

How to measure the rdson during final test accurately ? if the rdson is 5m ohm, the contact resistance between equipments is significant.

Any method to get a certain measure result ?

tks

Hi
It is simple ! put 15 volts across the GS junction of your mosfet and then give 10 volts as VDD , then use an ammeter and , measure , it's current , thus you can find Rdson . another way is putting a pretty low value resistor as RD and measuring VDS instead of Id , and easily Rdson will given .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Do not invent new way of measurement. Exist standard method. Look at the MIL-STD-750E standard.

It is simple ! put 15 volts across the GS junction of your mosfet and then give 10 volts as VDD , then use an ammeter and , measure , it's current....
So if the rdson is 5m ohm, you expect the meter to read 2000 Amps? :roll:

That is not a good way to measure rdson. It is a good way to destroy the MOSFET and maybe start a fire.

Hi Godfreyl !
So if the rdson is 5m ohm, you expect the meter to read 2000 Amps?
Who told that ! i told that as an example ! voltage can be lower ! and of course via a resistor ! i have tested this was more than some hundreds ! perhaps you want that i show you ? if yes , no problem i can !

Hi Konstanu
Do not invent new way of measurement. Exist standard method. Look at the MIL-STD-750E standard.
I didn't learn to be a user ! i learned to be an inventor and a designer ! not just copy and paste !

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Who told that !
You did.

i told that as an example !
Exactly. You told that.

It is a bad example. You said to put 10V across the MOSFET and measure the current with an ammeter. 10V/5mΩ = 2000A. Trying to measure like that is a bad idea.

i have tested this was more than some hundreds !
I don't believe you tested that way even once. If you had, you would know it is a bad idea.

voltage can be lower ! and of course via a resistor !
You did not say to use a resistor, but if you do connect it via a resistor, then your ammeter reading is worthless.

Your second suggestion, to use a resistor and a voltmeter is good.
:grin:

Last edited:

Hi Godfreyl
another way is putting a pretty low value resistor as RD and measuring VDS instead of Id , and easily Rdson will given .
You did not say to use a resistor
I told that at first ! i think you didn't read it carefully .
By the way i don't think that you can have access to a power source with ability of 2000 Amperes ! ( however i have a 0-60 V 0-200A in my laboratory ! but it is impossible that i test my mosfets with that ! )
If you use a limited power supply , you will have a limited current ( e.g 2 A or 5 A ) then with a precise voltmeter you can easily find Rdson too . however you can decrease VDD lower than that .
You said to put 10V across
That is an example , i don't think any body put that voltage ! just an example ! :-D
I don't believe you tested that way even once. If you had, you would know it is a bad idea.
Why you can't believe ? how ever it is not important ! because i didn't many measurements with this way ! but some tricks are required ! it is up to each designer ! for example for some circuits i have some ways that i know you can't believe them . but i have used them in my designs ! ( Recall : i learned to be a designer and inventor instead of a simple user ! time teaches me this ! )
Best Regards and Best Wishes to you ! :wink:
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back