Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCP2515, MCP2551 and microcontroller programming problem-trying from 1 month

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujaypaichar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends, as title says, I want to read CAN signals from a CAN bus. My hardware connectionis like this.

CAN module (CAN HIGH and CAN LOW)----------->MCP 2551------------>MCP2515------------------->PIC microcontroller

MCP 2551 config:

TXD connected to TXD of MCP 2515
RXD connected to RXD of MCP 2515
Pin 7 connected to CAN HIGH
Pin 6 connected to CAN LOW
Pin 8 connected to ground through a 10 ohm resistor
Pin 2 and 3 connected to gnd and vcc-5v

MCP 2515 config:

SCK connected to SCK of PIC microcontroller
SI to SO of PIC
SO to SI of pic
CS to Port C.0 of PIC

Microcontroller: Amicus PIC 18F25K20 (Programming software- Amicus IDE)

I also have NXP P89V51RD2 8051 microcontroller.

I got many example programs in the net but I am not able to read the CAN signals.

It would be very helpful if someone can send me the programs if you have it. Even if the programming lang is 'C', it is acceptable. I am trying to complete this from past 1 month :(

I need to read the data from CAN bus and send data at particular time. The CAN bus may send signals at 500Kbaud or 1MBaud rate. It might be standard CAN or extended CAN.

Please somebody help me with this.

If any other details are required, please let me know.

No, TXD of MCP2551 is transmit data input and RXD is Receive data output. So TXD and RXD of MCP2551 connects to TXD and RXD of MCP2515 rspectively.

Hi sujaypaichar,

Have you tried Microchip's MCP2515 Demo Board examples?

MCP2515 DEVELOPMENT KIT USER’S GUIDE

**broken link removed**

I have this demo kit, the documentation still refers to the MCP2510 due to the fact Microchip has not updated it. The source code for the demo board is available at the link above. You can refer to the schematics at the back of the User's Guide and adapt the code to your design. If you are still have problems post them and I see if I can help further.

BigDog

Hi guys,

I am also working with MCP2515 can bus demo board, but i didn't got output. MCP2515 connect with PIC16f877a SPI pins.

Please give me suggestion how to collect data from MCP2515

thank you !!!

No, TXD of MCP2551 is transmit data input and RXD is Receive data output. So TXD and RXD of MCP2551 connects to TXD and RXD of MCP2515 rspectively.

its correct, i think u r doing your self, i have developed Can Bus Demo Board in that also they given like that.

If you have idea to collect SPI data from, Because i try to collect data from SPI using PIC16f877a but i didn't got it.

Thank you !!!

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

hello guru

I using Can bus demo develop board, It has in build firmware, So no need to write a code for MCP2515. Bus monitor tool available from microchip its give all detail of MCP2515,

My doubt is how to collect SPI data from MCP2515, Its give data only or register values also???

Thank you !!!

Hello friend

I am now in PIC microcontrollers and CAN modules, I trying to work on the project that uses 2 PIC controllers(PIC16f877a) I need to transmit and receive data through zigbee,
the transmitter side is having Zigbee, PIC microcontroller, dc supply)
the receiver side is having(zigbee, 2 CAN modules, PIC microcontroller, LCD, Motor, GSM, DC supply, buzzer)

1. can you please help me in identifying the lower components that I will use?
2. help me get the circuit diagrams of the implementation for both the transmitter and the receiver.

Yours
Kenneth

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back