Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Maximum power transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In order to transmit maximum power to the load I would have to connect a resistor equal to the thevenin resistance of the circuit.
Is the other way round possible?

i.e., My question is if we are given a specified load can we transmit maximum power by changing the thevenin resistance of the circuit (somehow) ?

The books says that it is impossible because power gets dissipated in the thevenin resistance.

But anyway I think it would deliver maximum power.

Please help me.

thanks in advance.

Dear iVenky
Hi
Yes , you can change the thevenin impedance as simple as. for example think about the out put stage of a transmitter, we wiil match the impedance with adding some filters or transformers.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

In order to transmit maximum power to the load I would have to connect a resistor equal to the thevenin resistance of the circuit.

i.e., My question is if we are given a specified load can we transmit maximum power by changing the thevenin resistance of the circuit (somehow) ?

The books says that it is impossible because power gets dissipated in the thevenin resistance.

Please help me.

thanks in advance.

Yes, you can affect the output impedance of your source. As goldsmith mentioned, this is commonly done in transistor amplifier circuits to obtain better matching characteristics. However, if you modify the output impedance, you often trade off maximum output power for other things like broadband performance.

This is often a source of confusion for many people.
If the Thevenin resistance of a source is fixed, maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance is equal to the Thevenin resistance.

On the other hand, if the load resistance is pre-defined, maximum power transfer occurs when the source (Thevenin) resistance is zero or, in practical cases, as low as possible.

Dear Friends!
Hi
As Pjdd said , when the out put impedance of each stage become zero , the matching can be happen . such as an op amp (in ideal , zout=zero)
Best Regards
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.