Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matlab/Simulink VS LabView for FPGA programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrtich.nazaryan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I know, Verilog, but I am using LabView for programming FPGA. It makes my task much easier during the design process. I knew that the same process can be done by Matlab / Simulink. I just want to ask the experts help to understand the advantages and disadvantages between these tools?
Thanks.

I would use neither.
I dont know labview, but matlab and simulink are just high level modelling environments and pretty poor FPGA development tools. The HDL code they generate is sub optimal. Its fine if you dont mind wasting a load of space in your FPGA, but to get the most out of it you need to hand code your design, which will mean getting familiar with VHDL or Verilog and the FPGA vendor tools (Quartus for Altera and ISE/Vivado for Xilinx, other vendors are available).

Thanks for reply. I totally agree with you. But sometimes need quickly build up the functional block in system level, for example, simply use existing function blocks and observe the output response of the system, to make sure that the system is working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.