Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matlab code for photonic band diagram, projected band diagram for1D photonic crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bletayo

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a student just taking nanophotonics for the first time. I need explanation on calculating photonic band diagram (at normal and off-mormal incidence), calculating projected band diagram and Omni-directional range using transfer matrix formalism in matlab.
Thanks.

Welcome bletayo,

I don't work in photonics (so proceed with caution), but I do obtain band diagrams for electromagnetic structures frequently, using transfer matrices.

I start assuming we have the transfer matrix -- if not, that's another topic altogether. Call this [T]. Now, partition this matrix into four equal components: [T_A], [T_B], [T_C], [T_D]. We express the transfer of the Bloch modes for [T_A] as

[T_A] = cosh([γ_b] * d)

where [γ_b] are the Bloch propagation constants, and d is the period of the structure you're observing. Now, [γ_b] actually represents a series of coupled solutions, so in order to extract the modal solutions, you need to diagonalize [γ_b]. You can do this with an eigenmode process, which lets you convert the above expression to:

[T_A] = [T]*cosh([γm_b] * d)*([T]^-1)

Where [γm_b] is the diagonal, modal solutions. This can be done in Matlab, "CoshGmbd = eig(T_A);" Now, you need to acosh the result and divide by d, such that

Gm = acosh(CoshGmbd)/d;

Gives you the modal Bloch propagation constants. Plotting these (usually just the imaginary component) gives you the band diagram.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back