Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mathmatica, Mapple, Mathlab or nay --> Which once to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camel_RF

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mathmatica

Hi,

I try to learn some software for mathematic function, I try to understand diffetent in these software...n I still doubt and confuse...
I like to be able to do some calclulus, plotting, and some basic 3D fucntion

So, which is the one I need?

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks for the help.

mathlab and how it used

Well if its pure mathematic u would like to use i recommend Maple or above all Matehmatica. I am a big fan of Matlab, but u have to think a bit differnet when solving mathematicla functions, as Matlab is base on vector calculus as far as i have heard... Maybe its the same with mathematica, but i have used it to solve maths probs.
Best Regards
Bruno

math lab vs maple 13

I haven't worked in maple before. So i cannot comment on it. between mathematica and matlab there is no difference. Much to my astonishment, some answers which mathematica gave were not solved by matlab and vice-versa. By all means, matlab has myriads of took boxes.

Regards
drdolittle :)

mathmatica math lab

I think Maple would be a better choice if you are doing lot of symbolic mathematics.

mapple mathlab

MatLab is best for Comm/Syst Engineering, DSP stuff and is fairly simple to use.
But if your focus is Symbolic Math choose one of the other two.

Also Matlab can be linked to some other software, (i.e. @gilents @DS )

Hope this helps

mapple friendly

MathLab is the best ...... and the simulink and script files are very useful ...

leomecma

freeware mathlab

I prefer MATLAB, it has so many built-in functions for mathematical operations and aslo nice and neat for making graphics. Anyway theres a freeware version of it, try to seach where you can download Rlab. Try it , its free....

mathlab the best

the_risk_master said:
I prefer MATLAB, it has so many built-in functions for mathematical operations and aslo nice and neat for making graphics. Anyway theres a freeware version of it, try to seach where you can download Rlab. Try it , its free....

Actually you can try Octave, which is a clone of Matlab. It works mainly on Linux, but there a windows version available (using cygwin). Here are some installation instructions for Windows: **broken link removed**

Another alternative to Matlab is Scilab. It isn't Matlab-compatible, but it can do most of what Matlab can, including block diagram simulations.

For symbolic math, I use Maxima. The sintax isn't too complex, and you can easily plot and solve calculus problems.

Note that all three are free software.

PS: On the easy side of things, you can always checkout a program like Derive. It's very basic, but it can solve basic calculaus problems and differential equations.

www.brookscole.com/math_d/.../2006

matlab is powerfull software to use if you are interested in engineering mathematics , but if you want to use software for pure mathematics so both maple & mathematica will be useful but in my opinion mathematica is much better & more familiar than maple

Re: Mathmatica, Mapple, Mathlab or nay --> Which once to

Matlab 7 and Maple 10 is not much computer friendly. Because both of them use too many RAM space and CPU power. On Maple 10 even the little copy-paste job takes time. But Mathematica 5.2 is totally different. It is really speed and faster on graphics.

(I have Celeron 2.0 Ghz and 768 MB DDR 333 Mhz Ram)

Any other speed comparisons?

I recommend Derive if you don't wanna spend time learning Maple or Mathematica. Very easy to use, mostly point and click. 2d/3d plotting is especially easy as everything's laid out in a toolbar.

Does symbolic integration/differention as well. Plus there's external libraries for stuff like Fourier/Laplace/Bessel, etc.

How about free alternatives like Scilab, Octave, Root and Maxima????
Also, are there other free programs that could do the job???

S.

Learning big math tools can be take time, but the 3 Ms have great support. There are lots of books for them, curriculum resources, big online communities, many free code snippets etc...

Especially Maple and Mathematica have great capabilities for preparing technical articles.

Particularly, Mathematica has very nice resources on this site:
https://mathworld.wolfram.com

Also for the calculus beginners Stewart-Calculus book has great companion resources for Maple and Mathematica...

www.brookscole.com/math_d/special_features/maplelabs05/maple_9-5_revisions_penna/stewartetindex.html
www.brookscole.com/math_d/special_features/stewart_shared/mathematica_labs/stewartcet5index.html

MatLab is more complete and have many examples, if you don't be confortable to program in it, inside matlab you have Simulink, which is a graphic ambient and does the same functions than matlab, but you need to have installed the Matlab to use Simulink too.

Rds

Mathematica 100%, it is the best. :D

mathematica it is the best. it is very much friendly

My work experience is:

Paper: For concept definition, or what is math of the problem?

Maple: After a clear math definiton most work is expression conversion into the wanted format and simplification/truncation based on application assumption. Maple does not allow a similar way of expression manipulation what I do on paper. So only with long expression and exact knowledge of the way to transfer expression Maple is useful.

Matlab: To define functions I often copy expression from Maple direct into Matlab. I use Matlab for most programming work. Matlab is very powerful because it combines the efficiency of scripting with huge libraries.

mathematica is friendly,for the green man,mathematica is easy to control

Matlab is vector based.....prefer mathematica...Its more userfriendly than matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back